Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging huge holes, foreseeing death off a miner?  (Read 445 times)

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging huge holes, foreseeing death off a miner?
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:02:31 am »

Last 3 embarks, my original miner, and sometimes a few more, have died dew to cave ins, why do these happen?

im digging upward ramps, or channeling, but i can't grasp these sudden cave ins, because there is soil under the tile...

ill do my first basic !!sience!! over this....
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

DaveLawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging huge holes, foreseeing death off a miner?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:09:22 am »

Are you designating multiple z-levels to dig at a single time?
Are you sure the area has been completely cleared of trees?

In my experience it is these two things which lead to cave ins.  Once I got a handle on them, I've never again witnessed a cave-in.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:25:49 am »

Maybe the tree thing was the problem, do boulders have the same effect?

i just lost 2 miners because of this, hopefully the last :p
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Liosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:31 am »

I my first fort I saw a hill - I decided to remove it with my new-found d-d skill. A few minutes later... cavern collapse - I forgot about the floor. Are you sure you aren't forgetting any? It's not the soil under the tile that matters, but the soil above :)

Liosan