Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wind  (Read 2251 times)

TheDeathMind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wind
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 12:40:42 pm »

Hey, just don't worry about it; I'm sure the entire thing will blow over.
wooden Elf-lock Chesty things
On the plus side, he spotted a adamantine vein before he melted completely.
Urist: Noooooooooo! It buuuuuuuuuuuuuurns! ... Waitasecond! HEY GUYS! THERE'S ADAMANTINE OVER THERE! PRAISE BE THE MINERS! *sizzle*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 02:52:58 pm »

Maybe what he needs is just a breath of fresh air.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 02:57:19 pm »

A pun thread? I hate wind these happen.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 03:01:37 pm »

Yeah, they really wind up the mods when they get inane. And then they come in and BAM, it looks like a hurricane hit us, locks everywhere, deleted posts, etc.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 03:08:57 pm »

Does anyone know if there's some way to intentionally generate areas with wind on the map or is it just random per region or random per embark zone?

If you're on a biome boundry, can one biome have wind and the other not?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 04:36:57 pm »

You don't mistral much, though, as water mills are way more efficient and you can put a lot more of them in your fort.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 06:42:31 pm »

Well blow me down. Another one.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 06:14:06 am »

Does anyone know if there's some way to intentionally generate areas with wind on the map or is it just random per region or random per embark zone?

Itīs random, and the wind is equal over the whole embark, as well as constant for the whole fortress life. Either you have wind, and then you build a nice 4-floor windfarm, preferably underground with holes down for the wind, or you have to try something else.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 02:14:07 pm »

You mean I didn't have to channel out under the windmill? Nuts. At least I have another way to turn it off. (L shaped power path. Three gears, four pipes.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:54 pm »

Yes.  Each biome has its own wind value, so it is possible to have a site where the wind varies in strength from one part of the map to another, if you've embarked on a site with multiple biomes.  The level of wind never changes so far as I can tell, and isn't possible to change it once you embark.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 06:42:52 pm »

How do I hook two Windmills into a power system? I tried one next to the other, but only one is trying to power the entire set up. Help?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28:37 pm »

Windmills output power down through the center tile (which I believe needs to be channeled out), try putting a gear under each one, & run axles from those gears to a 3rd (the 3rd is the one you want to link to a lever if you ever need to switch them off, because switching the gears under the windmills deconstructs the windmills).

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:02 pm »

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot and I forgot to channel out underneath it. *headdesk*

Well, I've got them like so:

Code: [Select]
WWW WWW
WWW WWW
WWW WWW

And directly below:

wfwwwwg
wgssgsg
wwwwwww

So the windmill on the left is over a gear, and the windmill on the right is over a gear. Do I need to connect them in a different alignment? Maybe one windmill to either side of the gear transferring to the pump?

I haven't got vertical room for a water reactor because I'm on top of the Aquifer I'm pumping from. Unless I use long transit from another part of the map, but that's power intensive.

And the way they switch off is to disconnect the lower pump from the system which disables the water going into the upper pump.

Do I need to just build one windmill on top of the other?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:29:18 pm by Triaxx2 »

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 09:46:42 pm »

I think the best thing to do is build a gear under each windmill and then link those gears together with an axle, then link either of those gears to stuff with axles and possibly gears. So:

G===G

one z-level below with the G's centered on the windmills

I don't think the lower windmill will work if you build another windmill on top of it (and you'd have to build a floor above the first one to do that anyway).

Pages: 1 [2]