Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Flux Rarity and Bug?  (Read 2778 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Rarity and Bug?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 11:09:22 am »

After setting the mineral scarcity back up over 1000 I am seeing FLUX displayed in the embark screen again.  Anything below that and its very rare to see it in the embark window. 

I am in a 31.25 world at 800 (MINERAL_SCARCITY) and I see flux rock in some locations.  Don't know what counts as rare (this 3x3 embark has flux, clay, shallow metal and deep metal).

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Rarity and Bug?
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 12:11:25 pm »

I use 1000 rarity, and I often get flux, deep metals, and shallow metals on at least 20 sites with the finder.  It reports correctly and everything.

2500 is just not enough to see anything, and anything under 1k gives total overkill of types of minerals.

I think what you're seeing is that FLUX is generally a layer stone, or found in clusters, and is NOT considered a mineral.  With high scarcity, you get more layer stones and less minerals, but without minerals there must be SOMETHING in there, so FLUX is more prevalent.

One reason I'm not experiencing any problems is probably due to the fact I use PerfectWorldDF, and set my Vulcanic maps to a very low altitude cuttoff.  This makes the top o' me mountains mostly sedimentary rock... ie: more flux than igneous areas.  Also rivers tend to start at high altitude, and it seems that in worldgen when it gives you the "Generating Lakes and Minerals" section, erosion and deposition are simulated, leading to large sedimentary and igneous intrusive deposits at the base of my mountain ranges.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 2 [3]