Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [POPULATION_NUMBER:30:50]? What is this?  (Read 2940 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: [POPULATION_NUMBER:30:50]? What is this?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 10:47:54 am »

Population number seems to be the min/max number of creatures spawned per biome.

And it is certainly not per year. I think it is in total. My fortresses keep having no more animals when I hunt/catch/kill enough camels.

You can hunt creatures to extinction in fortress mode.
YOU CAN?
Oh man, I am going to kill all the camels now. I want more desert scorpions running around so I can destroy all sieges >:D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 12:15:14 pm »

I have at the moment a fortress in 31.25 in which my now-legendary hunter has systematically exterminated every form of wild animal on the surface.  Checking the number of dead animals on the units list, I see:

14 wolves
   36 badgers
   16 deer
   21 turkey
   2 cougars

The site is a Temperate Broadleaf Forest, Medium evil, High savagery

Expected population from this site is:

10-20 badgers
   15-30 turkeys
   15-30 deer
   10-20 foxes
   15-30 moose
   2-3 black bears with frequency 5
   2-3 grizzly bears with frequency 2
   2-3 cougars with frequency 5
   2-3 pandas
   10-20 raccoons with frequency 10
   10-20 wolves with frequency 5
   5-10 sasquatches with frequency 1

I did not see any foxes, moose, black bears, grizzly bears, pandas, raccoons, or sasquatches.  This would appear to support the idea that the FREQUENCY tag controls how likely a creature is to appear in that biome, and that the default FREQUENCY is less than 100%.  I also saw a lot more Badgers than the POPULATION_NUMBER tag would suggest.  I think that creatures with the [PET] tag (I modded all PET_EXOTIC creatures to have PET) can breed in the wild off-screen, so their numbers can increase over the initial population, provided you haven't killed them all off.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 12:30:25 pm »

It's notable that between .18 and .25, plants and wild animals were changed to have "roughly contiguous" ranges on the world map, so they don't automatically occur in every possible biome now. That explains your lack of foxes and pandas, and may also have something to do with the other animals.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.
Pages: 1 [2]