Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are you haulers DOING?  (Read 717 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
What are you haulers DOING?
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:53:00 pm »

ok, is this a known bug?
just upgraded to .25 and got my metal industry going with LOTS of metal bars being smelted out before the smithing actually begins.
so i look down one day and realize ive got far fewer bars than i once did.
wondering where they went, i stop and watch that stockpile for a long time.
then, all of a sudden in a massive wave, ALL my haulers came, picked up a metal bar and brought it to some other random stockpile!

some ended up with the food, some with the cloth, some with the weapons, and still others in the gem bins.

i kept waiting, and sure enough after about half an hour or so, they came back and did it again!

anyone able to shed any light on this odd behavior?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

whitey321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you haulers DOING?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:52:29 pm »

Nope, must be something with your Dwarf Fortress.
Technically, it's not pacifism, it's militant uprising led by an overly-charismatic but useless dictator
Dwarf Fortress: Life Through Hitler's Eyes

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:55:33 pm »

Do the other stockpiles accept metal bars?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:11:05 am »

1. Check settings on the other stockpiles, ensure they only have the categories allowed they are supposed to.

2. Delete the bars stockpile, run for a little while, then rebuild it. That's sorted a similar problem of not using a particular stockpile for me.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:13:05 am »

1. Check settings on the other stockpiles, ensure they only have the categories allowed they are supposed to.

2. Delete the bars stockpile, run for a little while, then rebuild it. That's sorted a similar problem of not using a particular stockpile for me.

ill try the deleting thing.

no, the other stockpiles do not allow blocks/bars

hey, i thought of another thing that may be related, but im not sure, cause ive never done it before.
i've got my clothesmakers sewing images and my leatherworkers making leather images.
these dont have anything to do with bars do they?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 12:27:41 am »

I'd suggest using the stocks screen to check whether bars are just being moved about or if the amount of bars is declining over time. If declining, watch particular dwarfs closely to see where they are taking the bars. Also, check the current job of these dwarves (with the 'v' cursor, then 'g'), it'll tell you whether they are just storing them (and the stockpile they are taking it to is shown in the 'j' list) or whether they are taking them to use them for something.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 12:29:46 am »

check the current job of these dwarves (with the 'v' cursor, then 'g'), it'll tell you whether they are just storing them (and the stockpile they are taking it to is shown in the 'j' list) or whether they are taking them to use them for something.

yeah i SHOULD do that, huh?!

-facepalm-

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:55:13 am »

I've had similar wrong-bin-in-stockpile issues before.  It used to generally be when a bin was 'claimed' for one stockpile after a job to move it to a different stockpile had already been created (or after jobs to store things in it had been created), so the Block bin in the Ammo stockpile would still be labelled with the Block stockpile's number.  In my recent fort (v 31.19->...->31.25), however, I've had a couple times when a bin was in the wrong stockpile, and labelled as 'belonging' there, ie a Gem bin in a Armor stockpile, numbered to match the Armor stockpile.  The dwarves don't take items out of the misplaced bin, either (ie they don't move gems in that Gem bin to an actual gem stockpile, they leave them in the misassigned Gem bin).  You can 'fix' it by getting the bin out of the stockpile and disconnected from it (I used k-d to dump it, but leave the contents alone, and then k-c reclaimed it from the garbage zone) and letting the dwarves re-figure out where to put it, but I don't have any idea what causes it in the first place.

Have had it happen tons when using the 'take from other stockpile' option, where the dwarves seem to sometimes ignore restrictions on what the receiving stockpile is set to accept, but I'm assuming that's more of an issue with take-from or with the stockpile restrictions, rather than part of the bin-in-wrong-stockpile issue.  Mostly had this with trying to segregate adamantine cloth/thread from the rest of my cloth/thread, but have seen it with other stockpile types (refuse and ammo especially) as well.