Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beeeeeeeeeeees.  (Read 1075 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beeeeeeeeeeees.
« on: April 03, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »

Is there a way to populate hives specifically from a constructed hive, to keep my bee keepers from wandering out into the undead-infeted terrain when there's perfectly good bees not 2 tiltes from the empty hive?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Beeeeeeeeeeees.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »

I read somewhere that you can designate which natural hives you want to move. I haven't tried beekeeping yet, personally, but that sounds right.

Bees are in every non-freezing biome, right?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:46:45 pm »

I have no idea. I just went with a haunted spot and noticed there were alot of colonies, so I built 12 hives out of boredom, 3 at a time. On about the 8th one, I realized my beekeepers were running out into the undead to grab bees, instead of just turning around and grabing the [Ready to Split] ones behind them.
Legacy of Insightshields

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:13:18 pm »

You could set up a burrow, if nothing else.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:38:00 pm »

Bees can be found in freezing environments, too. If it isn't a tundra or a glacier.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:57:17 pm »

Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:40:38 am »

Lock the gates, forcing your beekeepers to pick from your hives. You probably should have the bridge up and the hatches padlocked anyways if theres dead things afoot. (especially if you didn't make those dead things dead)

And always remember, that long hallway of glass corkscrews is completely and utterly worthless on those skeletons. Go for cutting/bashing damage.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 03:07:47 am »

My hives are inside. I channeled a square area down, removed the ramps, and built a wall on the outside of the hole. This way I can have hive sin my base, but they're still outside.

I do have a door there though, I guess I could lock them in.
Legacy of Insightshields

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:39:32 am »

bees arent worth the effort if it's dangerous out there. really my recommendation is: realise youre surrounded by undead and cant play like you aren't.

ignoring my advice, (which would lead to more fun!!!) you can:

remove the job of 'go find the hive thats surrounded by undead', and then deconstruct the empty hive that wants that dangerous beehive. build a new hive, and pray to armok your beekeeper splits a hive instead. i do this when i have the my beekeeper wants a hive that no longer exists bug.

setting up a burrow is the safest thing u could do. he wont leave it. EVER.

section off areas of your map with your miners in a dangerous someones gonna die charge. dig tunnels under your channels to the sectioned off areas, and prepare walls to prevent wandering dwarves from being shot at while gathering bees and plants and wood in the middle of an undead forest.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 10:41:15 am »

You do not have to deconstuct the hive for this. Just select the hive in question, press "c" for "do not installl a colony into this hive", wait a second, and then press "c" again for "install a colony".

If the path to the wild bee hive outside of your moat is blocked, then the beekeeper will fill this colony by splitting another hive then.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.