Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Logic: Flow & Pressure Regulation  (Read 1137 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Logic: Flow & Pressure Regulation
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:49:55 am »

My fortress is well on its way towards masterwork quality. The zombies pose no threat and the goblins haven't figured out that we're sitting on a gold mine, and even then the maze would pose a serious threat to any would-be intruders, but the dwarves are restless in the knowledge that one false step could still spell doom.

We're surrounded by magma, and much of the fortress sits below a saltwater aquifer. Amost McPumpOperator drowned, valiently sacrificing himself to fill a cistern that the others would not die of thirst.

We have excavated and lined a sewer system for the jail, to be fed by a cistern, within which are 4xpressure plates, triggered to a 'CMOS AND' water shutoff gate. The project would have been simpler if only I had known of pressure regulation sooner.

I would like to drain my gate back in to the main water conduit from above, a 4-tile wide regulated corridor, fed from an aquifer 3Z higher. The wiki presents blueprints detailing 'checkerboard' regulation, but without explanation, I'm baffled. Is the degree of depressurization a function of regulator length? That is, will 10Z depressurize within the same distance as 4Z? Do I need to build a longer regulator?

I am trying to conserve water flow as much as possible, so as not to limit the number of machines my aqueduct can support.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Logic: Flow & Pressure Regulation
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:19:53 am »

I've had drops of ~10 Z depressurize with one diagonal "regulator". There is no need (AFAIK) to use more than one diagonal to get water pressure reduced. For appearance sake, I use a "cross-shape regulator" with the center block solid:

Code: [Select]
O.O
.O.
O.O
...where O is a wall and . a floor tile. Input can be from any direction, outflow in any direction. Tapping the regulator so that water leaves on a diagonal (without mining ANY of the blocks in the regulator) gives you 8 pressure safe hookups per regulator. This arrangement has handled pressure in every application I've ever used it on.

I cannot, however, address the remainder of your question, as you're planning logic and "circuitry" based on flow, and I normally don't care about flow, only supply.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:23:12 am by Nameless Archon »

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Logic: Flow & Pressure Regulation
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:34:53 am »

As usual, it is simpler than expected. Thank you.