Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your most interesting migrant waves  (Read 730 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Your most interesting migrant waves
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:49:12 am »

I just got some new migrants, so I was processing them, checking for useful skill, giving everyone else mega-project duty.

Oddly enough, I got three brewers in a row. One Adequate, one talented, and one skilled, in that order.

Anyone else have the brewmasters club emigrate to their fortress, or similar occasions?

Edit: Woop, and a competent, though several migrants later.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most interesting migrant waves
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:54:50 am »

Hmm, I know I've had some odd ones, but in the last bunch I had three millers, one novice, one adept and one talented, in that order. :P But I know it can be amusing to see the weird skill combinations they have... I'll keep an eye out from now on!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:57:57 am »

Once every migrant was a legendary fisherdwarf. When it was tundra.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:16:06 am »

When I had a fort where I tried starting with only a single skilled miner I got a couple of high skilled Miners in my next immigration. It's possible that the game weights the skills based on what you lack.

This may explain the high number of 'useless' migrants players report, because those are skills the player does not use or train, the game sees the 'lack' of this skill. It would also explain why you get a clump of similar skills together, as each is 'rolled' off the same data.  I got a couple of skilled Glassmakers together in my current fort, which was handy at the time as I was about to set up Glassworks.

This might be an area where the gameplay could be improved. e.g. if you are training up clothiers and weavers, you'd be more likely to get dyers, as this is a lacked skill but is complementary to the other two.

Did you have very low-skilled Brewers before that?

@Necro910 : Legendary Fisherdwarf, or such, for me = Combined Hauler/Mason/Mech/Architect/Woodcutter. No worse than a peasant.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:26:22 am by Reelyanoob »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:21:02 am »

When I had a fort where I tried starting with only a single skilled miner I got a couple of high skilled Miners in my next immigration. It's possible that the game weights the skills based on what you lack.

This may explain the high number of 'useless' migrants players report, because those are skills the player does not use or train, the game sees the 'lack' of this skill. It would also explain why you get a clump of similar skills together, as each is 'rolled' off the same data.

Maybe, I abandoned the fort a while ago. I mostly got fishermen at the fort for some reason. I never got to the caverns, the magma was very social.
 ::)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:34 am »

This may explain the high number of 'useless' migrants players report, because those are skills the player does not use or train, the game sees the 'lack' of this skill. It would also explain why you get a clump of similar skills together, as each is 'rolled' off the same data.  I got a couple of skilled Glassmakers together in my current fort, which was handy at the time as I was about to set up Glassworks.

This might be an area where the gameplay could be improved. e.g. if you are training up clothiers and weavers, you'd be more likely to get dyers, as this is a lacked skill but is complementary to the other two.

Not very low skilled, but not great either. Plus this fort has a bit of a history with hydration issues, and I just built an extra still, so that very well could be it.