Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: barrels obsolete?  (Read 3305 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: barrels obsolete?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 11:02:52 pm »

The clear glass industry always needs more wood. Plus I like the more exotic underground wood so I make huge tree farms in the soil.
Tree farms? How do you plant trees?

D:
You don't. Underground "flora" reproduce by spores, so once you open a cavern, fungus and "trees" start growing wherever there is mud or soil. Underground tree farms are effectively big empty rooms with natural dirt (or muddied natural stone) floors where stuff from caves is allowed to grow freely.
Alternately, you update & install the "Sawmill Mod", which adds a new building where you use a new reaction to process a new plant into logs.

Doesn't help with exotic woods unless you adjust the reaction(s) though.

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 11:12:08 pm »

The more you learn!  :-[
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 04:24:07 pm »

Not sure if anyone mentioned it before, but large pots seem to have quite a bit smaller material size than barrels. Dispite the fact that they hold the same amount of stuff. Ie. chestnut barrel is 10 urists, large granite pot is but 2 urists.

krag123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 03:31:08 pm »

so glad i found this topic.  This saves my desert fortress from a slow death cause by lack of wood.
Join my Mini Trooper Raid Army:
http://rolens-rangers.minitroopers.com

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 04:38:00 pm »

damnit we can now trade booze with elves! and i didnt realize!
no more need for trading 11111111 single crafts carefully avoiding the wooden bins.
Recording a macro of you clicking [Enter]=>[Down key] 13 or 14 times lets you tag a page of goods at a time per key click, just end on the top of the next page, and you can swipe all your stuff really quickly, and elf-safely (when you click anything in the bin, the bin itself is deselected.). Just make sure nothing inside the bin was wood, and un-click manually.

The steps are (start with cursor pointing at first item in list, whether bin or single)

[Ctrl-R]
 [Enter]=>[Down key] x 13
[Ctrl-R]

You can now click Ctrl-P for every subsequent page and let the macro do it's magic.

Ctrl-S names and saves the current macro for later games. Must be used after you use Ctrl-R to stop recording. Ctrl-L lets you choose an existing macro to load into memory. There's only 1 slot though, so it's always Ctrl-P to execute whatever you load, and only 1 in memory at once.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:58:51 pm by Reelyanoob »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 04:42:36 pm »

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but - now that wood is in decent supply, consider investigating Fertilizer for precious crops, as well as early farming. It increases food yield significantly.
I added a table about fertilization potash efficiency to the farming page of the wiki, because of the formula used for how many bars of potash are needed per plot, plot-size 'sweet spots' are at x = 4y - 1, for integer 'y' values.

This is because # of potash bars needed jumps by one at plot sizes of 4,8,12,16 etc

I make plots 3x5, i.e. 15 and was happy to discover that this was one of the 'sweet spots'
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:00:19 pm by Reelyanoob »
Pages: 1 2 [3]