Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to specifically equip a certain Dwarf?  (Read 501 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Any way to specifically equip a certain Dwarf?
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:20:46 pm »

Is there a way to select a Dwarf and instruct them to wear this armor, or carry this weapon without assigning them to a military unit/squad whatever?

I've been having issues with some critters coming up from a huge underground cave and the only worker dwarves that seem to get by are my miners who do pretty good with their picks. I'd like to equip most of my people with some kind of weapon, however simple it may be..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to specifically equip a certain Dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:29:58 pm »

If you don't want to assign them to the military, you can try making them all woodcutters to get them to carry axes around.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:37:55 pm »

Making the miners or woodcutters will get to carry something dangerous. Making them all part of a military unit on inactive duty is probably the best way though.
Memento Mori

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:56:03 am »

You'd probably want the military there anyway. Non-military avoid fighting if they can, so you'll still get canceled jobs all over the place.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:25:32 am »

You could put such civilians in a squad and tell them to wear armour off-duty but set their training schedule so that they never/rarely train. You might need to delete any assigned barracks as well when you want them going about their day jobs as some dwarves seem to get hooked on Individual Combat Drill and won't pick up jobs as you'd like. When off-duty they'll still run from danger but if forced to fight at least they'll have the armour and weapons to defend themselves.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:34:26 pm »

Thanks for the tips.

I know they can't beat much without the combat skills but like I said only my miners seem to live through a run in with a critter in the caves by whacking it once or twice then running away, a few times they opened up a wound that made the creature bleed out. My top miner "mined" the skull of a Rutherer not to long ago and managed to get away. Sadly, apparently he neglected to tell my stone hauler he ran screaming past in the hallway about the danger down the stairs..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper