Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen-Where are all the gobbos?  (Read 425 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Gen-Where are all the gobbos?
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »

So I've been genning worlds, and noticed something-I almost NEVER see a SINGLE dark tower when I gen. Are there some params I need to mod to help the gobbos out?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen-Where are all the gobbos?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:43:25 pm »

More evil tiles/regions, shorter world gen.

I think adjusting savagery helps too, but can't recall if they want "Haunted" or "Terrifying".

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:31:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure no civilization can live in high savagery (66+) areas. Goblins do need evil but I suspect that they can't handle high savagery evil (Terrifying).

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Civilization

If you don't want huge evil areas, just set the high and medium size evil params to 0 and play with the small region evil value.

Edit: Looking at the raws, only things with the SAVAGE token can show up on savage biomes and in that case they're actually limited to savage biomes. Goblins are ANY_LAND, EVIL
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:43:52 pm by ral »

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:31:36 am »

Export world details after the gen is done ('p'). Then search the sites and populations file for goblins owning a site that has civilized entities in it. This will make sure if they are there or not.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:21:17 am »

On a related topic do you need a goblin civilisation somewhere to get ambushes/sieges? My current .25 fort is reminiscent of the one I did around .14 in that it's well established and upgraded to a county but no sign of goblin interest, just the odd Minotaur and the like. There are no goblins on the civilisation screen but there weren't in a .19 fortress of mine that was overwhelmed swiftly because sieges started every few months after just a couple of years, long before I was capable of handling them. Has the pendulum now been swung the other way so nobody is going to turn up?

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:36:46 am »

You do need goblin civilization around in order to be attacked by goblins. One specific way to avoid goblins is to embark on a deserted island.

With that said, I'm not sure how closeby they have to be, but they at least have to have a path over land it seems.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:58:59 am »

Oh dear, whenever I get a fortress/military in good shape to receive visitors it turns out that nobody is going to invite themselves to the party. Guess I'll have to dig deep before the fun starts, although the local capybaras have scored one kill by startling a hunter causing him to jump into a murky pool for a watery death.