Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with a bronze colossus.  (Read 1160 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with a bronze colossus.
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:04:42 am »

So I have killed a hydra, and a Roc, and the next target is a bronze colossus. Trouble is, the thing is just about invincible. Short of making a dummy fort and forging steel or adamantine weapons. Any thoughts?

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with a bronze colossus.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 05:38:10 am »

Go for the feet. Even just a single good fracture can stop it from walking ever again. The problem is, of course, that you need a good enough weapon for the job. Otherwise, since you've already got some megabeast kills under your belt, I'd recommend zerging the big bronze bastard. Get troops from a fort if you want effectiveness or just regular old peasants if you don't want your kill to get stolen and if you like seeing people fly from getting punched.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 06:19:17 am »

Yeah, bronze colossus are very hard without the right equipment. My first encounter with one was a fairly epic battle, but in the end one of my bowmen managed to fracture it's soul-gem and kill it.

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 06:36:22 pm »

Last I heared, Fluffy Wamblers are colossi bane  ;D
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »

One time I knocked a BC's arm off with my steel weapon. It crushed me afterwards, though. If you're in a good region, definitely use fluffy wamblers though.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 06:07:26 am »

Yeah, train your thrower skill up to legendary and throw fluffy wamblers at it.

Or use steel or adamantine weapons (obviously not a war hammer though)

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 07:25:12 am »

Yeah, I just tested it in the arena- you're going to have to use a steel weapon. You should eventually be able to cause its death through the "accumulated damage" effect Toady put in a while back so that people could kill the previously-invincible undead, though.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 03:01:07 pm »

Throwing is usually the best way of killing a bronze colossus since even adamantine swords and axes will just chip off bits of it and fracture rather than cutting through clean; I've had a fair amount of success against them by throwing steel picks. Steel trap components also work rather well.

Stay away from hammers and maces since they'll just fracture it over and over again. Well, steel hammers will anyway; barring a lucky break, any other hammer usually just glances off.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:04:11 pm by Ubiq »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:43:53 pm »

I once took about 6 soldiers to a BC. I got saved by a spearman who killed the BC just as it was about to strangle me to death.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!