Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About the dissapearence of the Spears and Spear skill..  (Read 949 times)

Sorrow Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end... was it really worth it?
    • View Profile
About the dissapearence of the Spears and Spear skill..
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:37:11 pm »

I want to know what happened to them. I honestly love spears and would like to use them again like in the older version I once had, and If someone could tell me how I would implement them myself placeing the spear for sell in The Oubliette but I am unsure about the skill. If anyone could anwser these questions that would be lovely.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: About the dissapearence of the Spears and Spear skill..
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:58:53 am »

Do pitchforks from Hicks and Rubes count as spears in-game?

Sorrow Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:47:46 pm »

No Pitchforks are farm equipment in my opinion. =(

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:21 pm »

No, I said "in-game".  I'm asking whether the game uses spear skill when you fight using a pitchfork.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:45:43 pm »

Pitchforks count as swords for game purposes. Nothing currently in the game uses a spear skill,and there is also currently no such skill in the game - press down at the character screen to verify.

Sorrow Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:06 pm »

Well any tips on how i would imput said skill and weapon

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:24 am »

Pitchforks were the only weapon that ever used the spear skill, as far as I know; it's possible I removed a spear from the Oubliette to add the Daisho, but I think the weapon I took out was a club of some sort. When I removed the spear skill, it was because it seemed counterproductive to have a skill that almost nobody uses, whether in game or out of game, especially when it's only attached to a single unspectacular weapon that could only be acquired by killing a rare spawn. It was kind of like having a special skill just for stabbing people with a syringe; you can do it, but there's no reason to.

With that said, I do think spears are cool in general though. They could be added as a mod. Weapons are now more moddable, but modding spears in would require editing the code and recompiling, since it involves adding a new skill to the game. If you wanted to give them the sword skill instead of a separate spear skill, I think you can do it just by editing the xml files. I don't remember if the Oubliette is governed by an xml file or code though. If the Oubliette is governed by code... well... you could make one of the existing characters spawn with a spear? :| The game's moddability is still limited, despite the great work that's gone into it so far.

Sorrow Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:45:31 pm »

Thanks Ill figure out all the coding but there is no Oubliette Xml file. I hope you add that one so I can add it there in the future, Ill just add one to the pawn shop liberal tools for now Odd location I know X3 but it will work for now. Thanks for the quick responses guys. I want to make some mods myself in the future so ill need to find a good guide or something, Again thanks for the help.  =D

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »

Finding them in the pawn shop's not that odd; it's entirely possible a descendent of one of those mad british explorers decided to sell off grandfather's heirlooms from africa.

On a (very) seperate note, I'd love to see the occasional 'rare' item in the pawnshop that someone's decided to sell off for a bit of extra cash. Things like an African Spear, Tribal Shield, etc.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator