Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS: Do constructions affect it a lot?  (Read 539 times)

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS: Do constructions affect it a lot?
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:05 am »

After some months playing DF, i decided to make a "mini-project" of sorts: An arcology. My wonderful arcology has already broken through the amazing limit of ... 2-Z levels above ground. Still, my concern is the fact my FPS are already at 50-60. Not very worrying considering I have 85 dwarves and like 30 cattle roaming around in pens, but I have to plan ahead.

Given the fact due to the huge needs of rocks for this I have by now completely mined one Z-level (5x5 embark, the arcology is 45x115 squares, 5175 stones per level!) of stone, I was wondering several things:

1- Does having a Z-level revealed but -without- stones being everywhere affect FPS noticeably?
2- Do constructions (floors, walls) affect FPS noticeably?
  * More than random rocks lingering around? less?

I understand that if I get FPS problems i can remove the cattle, but this raises another problem. Is there any way to set up constructed floors, mudding them or anything, to plant on them?... Farm rooftop anyone?

Thanks!

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS: Do constructions affect it a lot?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:14:05 am »

I do not think you can grow outdoor plant on muddied floor.

For the FPS question, if your dwarves can path in it, it will affect fps, if you close it up after you've finished, it should be OK.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:55 am »

I believe you can muddy constructed floors (or functionally identical tops of walls), just make a scaffolding of sorts and use a pumpstack/bucket brigade to dump water onto it.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:20:55 pm »

I believe you can muddy constructed floors (or functionally identical tops of walls), just make a scaffolding of sorts and use a pumpstack/bucket brigade to dump water onto it.
If that doesn't work, you can pump magma and obsidianize it. It will create natural rock, on which when muddied, you can farm 100%.