Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you ever feel bad about a random dwarf's death?  (Read 1183 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever feel bad about a random dwarf's death?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 04:14:25 pm »

It's somewhat a mystery as how so many dwarves get to 60 when they begin dropping like flies once they enter a player-controlled fortress , even if the fortress is well run. I have 170 dwarves so far and 20 dead ones, most of them died due to being ambushed, infection or failed moods.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 04:14:44 pm »

I felt bad when my commander died. She lost her husband and son (newborn) during battle, then killed her dog in a fit of rage. When the demons came and exploded everyone, she lived the longest. Crawling across the ground, slowly. Burning to death.

Birdy Bot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 05:31:41 pm »

I once save-scummed after my Legendary Cook, named "Mama" was mauled to death by a Minotaur... because no one else could make it "even better than Mama!" (Cooking Mama reference FTW!)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 05:33:39 pm »

Depends on how you define bad. I am a pretty benevolent leader and don't like it when they die. I also tend to play long-term forts with a low pop cap and high child cap, so a lot of my dwarves are home-grown and they take a long time to grow up. Thus to me they are not really cheaply expendable. It takes years for one to grow up and more years for him to become skilled in a useful trade. Such a dwarf is not sacrificed for anything trivial.

However, emotionally I feel annoyed at them when they get themselves killed through blatant idiocy and guilty when my carelessness does so. Military and defensive deaths I shrug off as the fortune of war. And of course, see sig.  :P
Memento Mori

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 05:56:03 pm »

Usually, no, because dwarves are easy to replace. But occasionally there are situations so dramatic I have to become invested. For example, when I found that a peasant carrying two babies had somehow ended up in the bottom of the well/waterfal pump system, I initially shrugged and was going to let her die. After watching her struggle heroically against a rushing flood of waist deep water and fight a losing battle to thirst (she'd drop a kid to drink, then interrupt the drink to pick up the child, repeat) I was so moved I shut down the system and flooded the stock rooms to get her out, and was really concerned when it looked like she might die before she starved to death. If she had been mauled by a bear while picking up a goblin sock I wouldn't have cared, though.
Pages: 1 [2]