Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How much do you lay out before starting?  (Read 1113 times)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much do you lay out before starting?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 04:26:08 pm »

Using the burrow menu is a good way to help visualize the ground floor layout of a surface fortress, with its tools. Helps you to remember whats going where, along with notes
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 04:48:28 pm »

Most of it within the first season.

I start out with three proficient miners these days.

I also cave-in my wagon and floor up the hole to quickly get everything underground and under lockdown.
The silver is responsible for this How?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 06:08:51 pm »

I usually designate out my entire fortress, but i leave 1 tile wide gaps in large sections of it so i can keep my miners from carving out the stupid stuff untill i have some spare time.

Yep, that's a key method.

You can designate early all you want, but don't give miners access to all of it.  My priority is to get a perimeter up ASAP (usually 30x30 or 40x40) consisting of trenches / walls.  Then I'll carve down and dig out my primary stairs.  I generally work with (4) 2x2 stairs with 13 empty tiles between the stairs.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 06:32:13 pm »

Right off after embark I lay out very little. My goal at that point is to drop a shaft all the way to the magma sea and start mapping it and the caverns out. Once that is done I'll start laying out where I want stuff and then leaving them disconnected until I'm ready. Works better that way so I don't designate an area for my dining hall/residences and find out that there is a magma bubble in the way or worse yet a refilling portion of the magma sea.
Pages: 1 [2]