Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Royal entourage shows up without king  (Read 518 times)

Xonir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Royal entourage shows up without king
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:31:07 pm »

Hello!

I'm playing one of my more succesful fortresses so far, with an ice fortress on a glacier. Everything was (is) going swimmingly and after many years I managed to meet the conditions to become the capital. I get the message saying that the 'king has arrived with his entire entourage' and that my fortress has become the Mountainhome - yay!

But...there is no king. Nobles screen just shows me my duke and mayor and the other 'regular' nobles, but no king. The migration wave had a couple of legendary macedwarfs in it, so his entourage does seem to have made it, like the message said.

The civilization screen gives me "this land has no important leaders" for my Dwarven civ.

So...does that mean I never had a king to begin with? If so, it's a little confusing to get that message and to see his phantom entourage arrive. And will I ever get a king if that's the problem? Because it would be a real shame to have carved out those massive royal quarters for naught. :)

P.S. I checked the units screen to see if I had a friendly non-dwarven king around, but nothing

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Royal entourage shows up without king
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:37:27 pm »

The message "this land has no important leaders"  means your civilization is dead.  You had no king, and no mountainhome for a king to arrive from in fact.  You'll never get one, either - there doesn't seem to be a way in unmodded DF to create or assign a king during gameplay.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xonir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:42:56 pm »

Well, shucks. Who's gonna get that cherry opal casket artifact mausoleum then? :(

Thanks for the answer. Kind of disappointing to find out I was the last remainder of Dwarven civilization pretty much from the start (I presume), but also kind of cool. Guess it's time for megaprojects then.

EDIT: iirc, I did have a king (queen) a few years ago. He or she must have bitten the dust in the meantime, or maybe the previous Mountainhome was razed. Ah well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:47:50 pm by Xonir »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 06:57:48 pm »

It's possible the king died of old age the instant he set foot in your fortress - check the map edge where the entourage arrived and see if there's a corpse and a pile of clothes there.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.