Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those possible temperature settings are weird (world gen)  (Read 485 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Those possible temperature settings are weird (world gen)
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:47:32 pm »

The allowed values for the temperature in a custom world gen are -1000 to 1000 temperature units.

Well. I am frustrated at the moment because my hunt for the holy freezing grassland island has been in vain for the last 3 dozen world gens, so I tried the extreme values this time.

With a min: 500, max: 1000, I received an interesting looking pocket world. Mostly because none of the civilizations would be able to trade with me, but the goblins had access. I embarked and saw a fascinating wildfire consuming everything, including my dwarves after a short while. The stream was evaporated already when I embarked.

With a min: -1000, max: -500, the worlds looked also fascinating. No trade for the dwarves, and everything except the goblins was extinct. When I embarked on a random spot, the game would crash after about 3 seconds. A reload reproduced this crash reliably. Not a big surprise, really, since the temperature was probably below absolute zero.

So, what I am wondering now is why these insane values are allowed as min and max values anyway, if they cause you to lose to a wildfire or to a crash after a few seconds anyway?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Those possible temperature settings are weird (world gen)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:55 pm »

So you can have Fun, of course.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.