Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newby questions and a seed Request  (Read 844 times)

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
  • Surely the taste of cat roasts is getting boring.
    • View Profile
newby questions and a seed Request
« on: April 01, 2011, 04:56:02 am »

quick industry question do you lot have an order that you set your individual industry lines up i.e farms then furnature, glass, clay, metal then smithing or do you jus wing it every time? been trying different things but I always end up forgetting something and having a mad scramble.  :D also would there be anyone out there willing to share your Dorf Therapist custom proffession file with me im having a ballache setting mine up and finally Does anyone have an embark (31.21) with steel making mats and a volcano that I could use? im loving the game having got used to the interface and that first burst of triumph as a pump stack hurls magma at the trapped goblins but i have been messing around with the worldgen params for a good couple weeks an i dont know if im just unlucky or what but im unable to get a world with both or is it just wishful thinking ?
Thanks in advance.
Signature filter has detected a boring generic signature and has disabled this option for you.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: newby questions and a seed Request
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:21:37 am »

Quite obviously, and because your dwarf's first needs are to eat and drink, you first need to put up a farming operation. Farm plot, Kitchens, farmer's workshops and a still.

Then, a woodworking and stoneworking (Carpenter and Mason) industries are very important needs of your fortress, for beds and furniture and other useful things.

Then after, you can reach magma and go metalworking/glassmaking.

Clay is not really worth it when you have stoneworking and glassmaking industries.

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:41:07 am »

Cheers I have been experimenting with bits and bobs and just wondered if there was a better way, im starting to construct my forts with a central staircase and storage theme based on the quick fortress templates everything is working well I just want some of that tasty steel/magma action. im sad I had to get rid of my old fort as the FPS had dropped so low to make it un playable, Damn you magma moat I loved you
Signature filter has detected a boring generic signature and has disabled this option for you.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:55:26 am »

Does anyone have an embark (31.21) with steel making mats and a volcano that I could use? im loving the game having got used to the interface and that first burst of triumph as a pump stack hurls magma at the trapped goblins but i have been messing around with the worldgen params for a good couple weeks an i dont know if im just unlucky or what but im unable to get a world with both or is it just wishful thinking ?
Thanks in advance.

I haven't explored many worlds in .21+ yet, but if you're messing around with the advanced parameters anyway, make sure you boost volcanism. Minimum 50 maximum 100 is a good start. Also, if you have that bumped up and are still having trouble finding a volcano with flux, try embarking on places with just flux and looking in the caverns, either by digging or with a reveal utility. With the volcanism set that high, volcanoes that top out underground are pretty common, too, so you might get lucky - I once had a map with two volcanoes, one on the surface and one in the first cavern, in just a 3x3 space. (In fact, if I'd known the second volcano was there, I could have made a 2x2 space with both of them!) That was a pretty sweet map, but it was genned in .19 and basically only had silver.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:12:04 am »

at the min im either getting flux or iron not both and im sick of making copper armour my dorfs deserve steel damn it  :P

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:45:57 am »

Clay is not really worth it when you have stoneworking and glassmaking industries.
Stoneware is more valuable than green glass, and can be used to make replacements for wooden barrels without the need for glazing. Still need wood for beds, but anything you can make with fire clay or green glass is better to be made with the clay!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:26:53 am »

The replacement for wooden barrels can be made out of stone, too, with no fuel needed. Put all that microcline to use!

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 10:04:01 am »

Thanks ill have to try the stoneware out