Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I thought elves were against eating sapients.  (Read 2383 times)

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I thought elves were against eating sapients.
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 03:20:14 pm »

Strictly speaking, Tolkien's elves only turned aloof in the later ages. Until then, while they were a relatively young species, they were an extremely temperamental race, not without its genocidal tendencies.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »

Okay, so elves aren't interested in sex or otherwise capable of producing children as quickly as others, which implies (along with other factors, such as the immortality itself) that they're not geared towards being a successful species.

Maybe, maybe not. If we look at the real world, it's the wealthier and more industrialized - which we often equate to "successful and advanced" - countries that have the slower population growth rates, while some of the more impoverished ones have the highest growth rates. Partly this is because in poor and/or rural areas children are economic assets that provide labor and income, while in wealthy and/or urban areas they represent a drain on money and resources instead. So, a look at population growth alone would lead one to conclude that Africa is more successful than Japan. If we were to judge by our own standards of success, the conclusion might be that the more successful a society, the less desirable children become. In other words, elves could be so content and involved in their own affairs that the investment required in raising a child becomes less desirable than the ability to tend their gardens or write poetry, or whatever it is Tolkien-esque elves do.

It's not a perfect comparison, what with patriarchy and capitalism and other sociological factors to consider, but it's evidence that success may be more complicated than the ability to out reproduce others. (It's also perfectly valid to argue that both Tolkien elves and countries like Japan are, in a biological perspective, stagnant and failing.)

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 03:13:58 pm »

I would seem that adrenaline, or other chemical/spiritual/mental changes caused by a state of arousal cause elves to lose their immortality.  See: Arwen, after falling in love.

No, they just grew tired of the world and yet were unable to ever leave it. This is why they envied mankind's ability to die. Originally they were much more intense. Arwen died of a broken spirit due to Aragorn's death, which was one of the very few things capable of killing an elf. She did not die of old age any more than elves which die of battle wounds do. No elf could lose their immortality. Even in death they could not truly leave the world, and had the possibility of being born again. The closest thing to this was that the half-elves, of which there were very few, could choose to align their fate with either elf or mankind.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 03:15:24 pm »

NECROMANCER

And seriously, reviving a thread over a small bit of lore in a fantasy universe?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 03:24:19 pm »

2 days is Necromancy?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 03:25:46 pm »

It is when you don't add anything salient.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.
Pages: 1 2 [3]