Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clever Irrigation  (Read 583 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Clever Irrigation
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:05:24 am »

I have an indoor area which is perfect for a farm, however I cannot re route the river to it or mine out above it for a bucket brigade... anyone know of any other clever methods? Is it possible to get a bucket to dump on the floor without pouring it from above?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Clever Irrigation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:07:55 am »

YOUR SOLUTION IS MAGMA No, you must pour it from above.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pond#Pit.2FPond

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:13:19 am »

I know how to use ponds. :P I'm wondering if there's any interesting quirk I can use, like dumping the contents of the bucket or something, in a wierd way. Presumably even if that worked it'd leave a puddle of 'water', not an actual flow. Oh well, I'm come up with a clever idea. Dropping it in from above and piping it through sideways through an area which is planned to be channeled anyway, so no mud goes where it shouldn't.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:28:38 am »

You can build walls around it, build ramps or stairs up the walls, and dump from above that way.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:31:47 am »

Dig a hole next to your farm. Designate it as a pond. Build a pump to draw the water from your new pond into the farm.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.