Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast trap  (Read 771 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast trap
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:40 pm »

I was just wondering whether this concept I have regarding a FB trap was feasible.

In a tunnel leading to the cavern, I plan to dig out a connecting 3 x 3 room and to wall this off via a raised bridge. A moat then cuts this off from the tunnel. Inside this room, I would then place a wild GCS.

So, when a FB is sighted, I pull a lever dropping the bridge and opening LOS. Then as the FB passes by, it gets webbed and then hopefully trapped.

So, the question is would a 3 tile space be wide enough to ensure a successful snare?

Should I restrain the GCS to ensure the trap works properly?

Or do wild GCS don't work?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast trap
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:22:28 pm »

Wild GCS are the only ones that would work, although ideally you'd get the spider(s) to apply their silken gift to the machinery before the beast comes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast trap
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:08:50 pm »

Don't restrain the wild GCS that's my advice from having one once. Have a lever and floodgate with a cage trap on the other side so you can recage the GCS when required. I had FBs coming up then too, and I believe the GCS never targetted them. Dropping a kitten onto the cage area would be better to prime the traps for FBs. MY design was basically like this, but a bit bigger :-

Code: [Select]
######D##
##FPHPccc
cXC~~~ccc
##FPHPccc
#########

# = Wall
~ = channel
F = Floor
D = Door or Doorway
c = cage trap
X = flood gate
C = GCS cage
P - Pressure Plate set to creatures
H - hatch over a pit

I put a pit / hatch above the main cage trap area, to drop tame animals in. FBs should enter from the east, and try and path through the north doorway, past the traps. the pressure plates are all linked to hatch next to them, fooling the GCS that it can path to the cages, so that it shoots.

The floodgate is opened to lure the GCS back into a cage. If you put a GCS on a chain by some miracle, how would you recage it later? Note, since the traps are to be-prewebbed, you don't need the GCS here all the time, you an run a silk farm as well on a similar basic design, just ensure civilians can't try and collect it from the trap area, while still allowing pathing for invaders - maybe using a variant of the Pressure Plate / Hatch combo, but set to trigger for both dwarves and creatures, should the get past the cage traps.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:27:02 pm by Reelyanoob »