Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No goblins anywhere?  (Read 625 times)

King Crimson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No goblins anywhere?
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:12:58 pm »

I've created 3 different worlds, embarked dozens of times on each, tried to embark as close to evil civilizations as possible and despite goblins showing up on the world map, they never show up on the civilization tab in game.
Does this mean that I will not encounter goblin raids ever? Or is it that evil civilizations show up on the world map, but not in fortress mode?
Frankly I want gobbo raids. Last version I played had a broken military and I wanted to give that a whirl.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: No goblins anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:16:25 pm »

Are you checking the civilization tab the moment you start your fortress?  Civilizations don't show up on that tab till you encounter an individual from that civilization, so it might take a few years till ambushers or thieves show up, at which point you'll see the goblin civilization on your civ tab.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

King Crimson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »

Excellent. That's what I wanted to hear.
I had one fortress go several years without an ambush and assumed there were just no gobbos nearby so I bailed and tried to find one right on their doorstep.
Thanks!

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:10 pm »

Also make sure you did not set [INVADERS:NO] in the d_init file.

ALso, also when goblins show up depends on fortress wealth.  Minimum trigger is 10,000 created wealth for ambushes, and it usually takes a couple seasons after that before the first gobbos show up.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

They should show up on the embark screen.

If they're not on the embark screen that means they died out during worldgen. Sometimes that happens.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:35:19 pm »

They should show up on the embark screen.

If they're not on the embark screen that means they died out during worldgen. Sometimes that happens.

Or that you're on a different landmass, or too far away, or blocked by a mountain range or something.