Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first adventure mode kill was a Titan.  (Read 2475 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
My first adventure mode kill was a Titan.
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:58:13 pm »

I'm new to Dwarf Fortress, having only got it about a week ago. It's very fun, so I want to thank everyone who has put their time into it. It's very interesting.

Okay so I loaded up my 3rd adventure game. My first two ended very quickly (less than 20 min each) by a pack of Bogeymen. In my other two games I only killed 1 Bogeyman and a few wolves. Once I educated myself on those, I started a new game.

I made a new character with high dodge and agility. I started the game and got a task to kill some critter to the south east. I am wandering around and I find some corpses and no blood. Just partial skeletons and skulls. I found what I believe to be goblin and human remains. Some prompt comes up showing names of NPCs killed by a Plains Titan. I just thought oh, cool, that must have happened in the world gen, I set it to 550 years. A few moves over I find a trade depot with a bunch of corpses and some items and coins. I start stuffing my bag with loot. Suddenly I am many tiles to the left and the combat log shows I just got charged by the titan that killed all the NPCs. I am stunned on the ground. So I shout an expletive aloud. I think, well, I'm boned. But what the heck, here I go. I view it and it says it's a massive four legged hairy lizard with a trunk. And "Beware of it's webs!" but I never saw such a thing get used.

Next turn it MISSES me while I am stunned, I get up and attack it with my bronze longsword a few times, aiming for it's feet thinking maybe if I live long enough I can run away if it's legs/feet are injured. I keeps charging at me and I keep dodging it, over and over. I eventually chop off one of it's toes and give it a series of other unpleasant leg and foot trama. By now, It has attacked and missed me some 14 times in a row. I grow confident, so I start slashing and stabbing it's head and main body. Eventually it simply just bleeds to death and I stand there dumbfounded. How did it miss me probably well over 30 times?

So somehow I stuff it's body into my bag and move on, marveling at the scores of titan blood covered tiles. Completely uninjured but my speed is suddenly very low but I don't know if it's due to exhaustion or the titan corpse in my backpack.

Woot!

EDIT: I mean regardless of how high the stats are for dodge and agility and such.. With only an iron breastplate I looted from one of the corpses and a bronze shield what are the odds?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:05:07 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Maxwell5123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first adventure mode kill was a Titan.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »

Sweet my on one of my adventurers her (I'm a guy but I like having a female human if I'm playing as one makes it more humiliating when I strangle enemies to death >:D) first 3 kills was a night creature the night creatures wife and the night creatures brother....strangled to death at the exact same time :D also look for the guy who killed a bronze collisus(failspell) using a fluffy wambler

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first adventure mode kill was a Titan.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:25:42 pm »

EDIT: I mean regardless of how high the stats are for dodge and agility and such.. With only an iron breastplate I looted from one of the corpses and a bronze shield what are the odds?

Titans are procedurally generated so they can be anything from very easy to almost impossible to kill. Webs in titans are broken right now.