Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Optical Illusion  (Read 1126 times)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
Optical Illusion
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:19:59 pm »

Quick question: Have you ever looked at DF when not in full screen and believed they were running around more quickly? I have always played full screen, and just happened to look at it while lurking on the forum. They don't have beards, and they seem significantly quicker at getting around all the sudden. If a smaller window actually meant faster dwarfs, I'd be all for it.

Anyone else seen this before?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Optical Illusion
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:21 pm »

My dwarves don't have beard in fullscreen either... o.o
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:25:12 pm »

Wha?? No beards in full screen? Uh-oh. I'm seeing stuff that's not even stuff.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:47 pm »

The init file (or d_init, I'm not sure) allows you to set different settings for fullscreen and windowed modes, including which graphics file to use.  The original DF package comes with a number of different graphics images, with the main differences being the spacing (rectangular or squareular) and the faces (bearded or just smiley-faces).  You can change which ones you use in both fullscreen and windowed modes.  Check the \data\art folder.

As far as dwarves moving faster in windowed mode, this is probably perception, or at least I've never seen any significant performance increase from playing in anything other than fullscreen.  If you turn on the FPS display, again in one of the init files, you can tell if you're actually seeing an improvement or not.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 02:57:09 am »

Oh god, my dwarves MUST have beards. How do I turn this on? Cna I turn on JUST beards? I NEED BEARDS.

GIVE ME BEARDS.
Legacy of Insightshields

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 03:17:57 am »

Got to ~/data/init/init.txt.  Change the filename under the [FONT:] and/or [FULLFONT:] tags.  The default file is curses_640x300.png, no beards.  Both curses_800x300.png and curses_square_16x16.png have beards.  FONT is the file used for windowed mode, FULLFONT is used for fullscreen mode.  These are all ascii files, other tilesets may or may not have beards (Mayday, Phoebus, etc.).

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:28:23 am »

You sir, are my hero. My bearded, bearded hero.

Edit: Or maybe not. I didn't like the square him [curse Toady for making my use to this rectangle stuff.] so I tried the other.. it was 640x300, not800x300... but there are two of them... one with beards and one without.. I put in the normal 640x300 [which they're both named] and I got no beards again. I MUST HAVE BEARDED BEARDS.

BEARDED BEARS. OH GOD.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:34:54 am by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:51:36 am »

Using Paint or Photoshop or whatever, copy the bearded dwarf-faces in the 800x600 graphics file over to the appropriate spaces in the 640x300 one.  Don't worry, they fit, just match 'em up right.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 12:16:52 pm »

Quick question: Have you ever looked at DF when not in full screen and believed they were running around more quickly? I have always played full screen, and just happened to look at it while lurking on the forum. They don't have beards, and they seem significantly quicker at getting around all the sudden. If a smaller window actually meant faster dwarfs, I'd be all for it.

Anyone else seen this before?

I turn the FPS counter on. It's clearly quite a bit faster in window mode for me. e.g. one map was 24 fps windowed and 17 fps fullscreen. This is on my laptop with the crappy on-board gfx card. On my main box I didn't notice much difference.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:19:28 pm by Reelyanoob »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:03:17 pm »

Using Paint or Photoshop or whatever, copy the bearded dwarf-faces in the 800x600 graphics file over to the appropriate spaces in the 640x300 one.  Don't worry, they fit, just match 'em up right.

Knowing me, I would break it somehow and would spawn beards with goblins in them. :(
Legacy of Insightshields

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 01:51:36 pm »

Knowing me, I would break it somehow and would spawn beards with goblins in them. :(

Although the idea of goblin-infested beards may be pleasing enough on its own,

Save to your data\art folder and make sure you change the FONT: tag in your init files (whether you want it for windowed or fullscreen mode) to the proper name, which in this case I think is curses640x300beards.png.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:04:05 pm »

Although the idea of goblin-infested beards may be pleasing enough on its own,

Save to your data\art folder and make sure you change the FONT: tag in your init files (whether you want it for windowed or fullscreen mode) to the proper name, which in this case I think is curses640x300beards.png.

<3 , though I am curious... why are there two 640x300 with no beards?

Edit2: OOOOHHHH MYYYYY GOOOOOOODDDDDD BEARD EVERYWHERE

-beardgasm-
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:10:32 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile