Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there really no safe way to dig a pit?  (Read 864 times)

abatishko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there really no safe way to dig a pit?
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:11:46 pm »

I want to be able to dig a pit without stranding my miner at the bottom of it, or having to wall off an exit out of the very bottom level of the pit that leads to stairs going back up. I can't seem to find any way to do this. I am stuck with one of these two solutions, or is there some other way that I'm missing?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Is there really no safe way to dig a pit?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:15:16 pm »

What's wrong with walling off an exit?  When I dig a large pit I always first dig an access staircase alongside where the pit will go, with a tunnel from the access staircase to each level of the pit.  Then as the pit gets dung down layer by layer I wall off the access corridors, walling off the bottom last when the pit is finished.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:20:02 pm »

Cave-ins destroy constructed stairs.  You can build a constructed stairway to access the bottom of the pit, so your miners can get out.  Then collapse a floor on top of the stairway, destroying it.  You will be left with a pile of building materials at the bottom of the pit. 

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:48:25 pm »

Cave-ins destroy constructed stairs.  You can build a constructed stairway to access the bottom of the pit, so your miners can get out.  Then collapse a floor on top of the stairway, destroying it.  You will be left with a pile of building materials at the bottom of the pit. 

JMZ

This is the best way I can think of. Just be warned, that the dust flying upwards can hurt your dwarves, or, in some cases, fling them into another pit where you will have to repeat the process. As long as the pit is isolated, you should be fine. And that is even IF the dust flies up.
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.