Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siegers & ambushers camp outside?  (Read 869 times)

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siegers & ambushers camp outside?
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:40:25 am »

Im wondering why all siegers and ambushers that attack my fort just camp in the embark area but dont come inside the fortress itself. All the traps I have are just waste because no goblin actually tries to get in the fortress even though all doors are open. Any ideas how to make them attack my fort or mod them to do that?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siegers & ambushers camp outside?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:52:01 am »

bait animals
bait dwarves
incoming wave of migrants
bait caravans

The detection radius is about 15 tiles, but I don't remember whether line of sight comes into play.  I usually put small kittens around corners to draw the enemy inward and make them attempt to cross the traps in order to kill the kittens.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siegers & ambushers camp outside?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:12:26 am »

The detection radius is about 15 tiles
Yeah, and the linear-only pathing that doesn't make any attempt to avoid a known critter's detection range can get annoying too. Had a cyclops visit last night, hit a 10xdisc trap, fall 2-Zs into a pit, break both his legs to a pulp and have most other parts "cut open" or "smashed open", and spend the next two hours chasing a single tame horse that arrived with the subsequent migrant wave and that wasn't burrowed/caged/slaughtered. He was far too slow to actually catch it (broken everything) but the horse kept wandering back towards him, baiting him east and west across my entire embark like a sadistic game of tag.

Eventually, I sent my mayor out to Cage Large Animal while everyone else was burrowed. Even dragging the horse, the mayor was faster than the cyclops. Eventually, the merchant guards took pity on him and shot him full of mercy. And arrows.

What really boggled me was the way the horse kept wandering back to where the cyclops was, even once it had wandered around him and had a clear run to the fort. This could've been avoided if the horse would just go around the cyclops instead of pathfinding THROUGH him (and then retreating when you 'find' him again) over and over.