Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarfs refuse to train  (Read 319 times)

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarfs refuse to train
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:18:45 am »

So I got suad of 5 marksdwarfs, who refuse to train even tought I have set them to train all year(I want them to be ready before first siege), but they claim that "Cannot follow order". They carry crossbows and I got pile of wooden arrows waiting for them and archery range set up.

Strange thing is, that at first only one of them trained and other refused, before I realised I need to specify all teh targets individualy. After that, they trained for month or two and now they are back to "I refuse to train" mode.

Any idea what might cause? Something I forgot?
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarfs refuse to train
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:16:04 am »

Make sure each markdwarf has a crossbow, I think shield/buckler -might- interfere, a quiver, some bolts (remove assigned bolts from hunters if need be) and set to train them on an archery target. They should eventually get around to firing off a few rounds.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:37:03 am »

I've had a similar problem in the past.  I have no proof, but creating a barracks for the marksdorf squad seemed to ease things along.  They now train in both the archery range and the barracks.  My guess is that the "cannot follow order" status means that they want to go to a barracks for a dodging and biting demonstration and don't have one.

What I do these days (some of which may not be necessary) is

- Create squad with armor, shields, crossbows, quivers, backpacks, waterskins
- Set to train each month with 2 dorfs (for a 3-dorf squad).
- Provide three archery targets assigned to training with that squad
- Provide a barracks assigned to training with that squad
- Make a shitload of bone bolts, assign them as ammunition to that squad for training (250 bolts, usually).
- Sit back and watch them train.  Or wait for dodging demonstrations, or whatever.

If there's ammo available, they seem to alternate between barracks training and range training.  With 3 dorfs of reasonable quality, they use training bolts faster than my single craftsdorf produces them.

I also make my range and barracks a danger room, but some people consider that cheaty.  I consider it to be out of the fine tradition of trashy ninja films.

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:06:44 pm »

They started training now, altough I noticed I had forgotten to divide bolts between combat and training bolts. Sille me.

Also, right I have all my military at same barracks, mainly because the entrance can easily flooded in event of invasion.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate