Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble With Training  (Read 639 times)

zerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble With Training
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »

After having embarked in a tropical biome (in x.24), I've filled my stockpiles with all kinds of wonderful caged creatures. I decided to create a breeding population of elephants and establish myself as an unrivaled military replete with war elephants, jaguars, leopards, and tigers. I removed the exotic tag from the raws so I could tame them, but now I'm facing a weird problem. According to the wiki, I should be able to train all of these animals, however, I can only tame the elephants and nothing more. Once tamed, the elephants can't be trained. I have an elephantsplosion that I would love to turn into a goblin-squishing war force, but I can't figure out why this isn't working. As far as I know, the raws are fine. Elephants are lacking the exotic tag and have the trainable tag (I eve removed [GRAZER] so they don't starve to death), but no go. Thoughts?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble With Training
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:37:04 pm »

This is odd, did you edit the raws in the particular world you are using?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »

How are you trying to train them?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »

Are they in cages ? They need to be free, roaming and AFAIK not assigned to a pasture or an owner.

I've had elephantsplosions before, back when grazers didn't exist. With the triplet births, you fortress will be SWIMMING in elephant meat.

zerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:49:17 pm »

Are they in cages ? They need to be free, roaming and AFAIK not assigned to a pasture or an owner.

I've had elephantsplosions before, back when grazers didn't exist. With the triplet births, you fortress will be SWIMMING in elephant meat.

A-ha! Yes, I had the elephants assigned to a pasture (although all the tiny elephants have free run of the place). I can now train war elephants. However, I still can't tame the giant jaguar and giant leopard (both indicated in the wiki as being trainable) which are in cages in the stockpile.

And yes, I did edit the raws for the world I was using, and confirmed that all the animals I'm trying to tame/train have the proper tags.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:51:33 pm »

Well then, let them out of the cages. They're tame, right?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:00:42 pm »

Yeah, your dwarves will not train creatures in cages. Let them out first and then order the training of a war animal.

zerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »

Yeah, your dwarves will not train creatures in cages. Let them out first and then order the training of a war animal.

Nothing stays in cages after being tamed in my fort. The elephants I had moved to pastures while I was mass taming them and now that they're unassigned are being hardened for battle.

However, my problem still remains that creatures that should be tamable are not. I have a small population of leopards and jaguars that, by all accounts, should be tamable, but aren't listed in the kennel menu (following exactly the same conditions as when I tamed the elephants). To prove it wasn't an issue with the raws, I edited the unicorn entry to allow taming and training and now have a unicorn war force, too, but jaguars and leopards just aren't cooperating.