Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to butcher military kills?  (Read 845 times)

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to butcher military kills?
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:32:42 pm »

I just had one of my swordsdwarves kill an elephant because my hunter was taking too long. I tried to have my butcher, well, butcher it for obvious reasons, but my butcher is willfully ignoring it for whatever reason. Anyone have any clue how to fix this problem?

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to butcher military kills?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »

Is its corpse forbidden for some reason?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:45:45 pm »

You can't.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:56 pm »

You can't.

What? Is that new or something? Ive had nearly all of my military kills butchered before, including at least 1 (of 4) FB.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »

You can't.
I constantly kill rhesus macaques and raccoons with my military, to stop them from stealing from me. My butcher slaughters them for food all the time.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:51:01 pm »

There has to be free refuse stockpile space, and you have to have collect refuse from the surface turned on.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:51:31 pm »

You can't.

What? Is that new or something? Ive had nearly all of my military kills butchered before, including at least 1 (of 4) FB.
Apparently, a FB butchering is an amazing boon to your food supply. I've yet to have a FB show up that didn't plan it's attack with a 65+ goblin raiding party though, so I wouldn't know.

bp1986

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:53:03 pm »

Keep in mind while reading this that I am using weapons traps, not military. Putting an above ground refuse area next to a butcher shop seems to work well for the monkey invasion. Make sure that your dwarfs are allowed to haul above ground refuse... its in the (o)rders menu

(above ground simply for miasma prevention)

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:53:18 pm »

Oh, that makes sense, I didn't have it in a refuse stockpile.  :P Looks like I'm good to go now.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:59:12 pm »

Oh, that makes sense, I didn't have it in a refuse stockpile.  :P Looks like I'm good to go now.
Pay attention to what Bp just said above you as well. I'm quite sure that refuse hauling above ground is automatically turned off. If that's true, having a refuse pile won't do anything for you without that option enabled.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 06:02:48 pm »

You can't.

Apparently, a FB butchering is an amazing boon to your food supply. I've yet to have a FB show up that didn't plan it's attack with a 65+ goblin raiding party though, so I wouldn't know.

I dont know how many masterwork FB bone bolts i had, but it was over 200. Dwarves walk very slowly when carrying their corpses though, and i had 4 of them. Interestingly enough 1 dwarf had 2 of those kills with the same weapon, yet it remained unnamed.

Anyway, more on topic. Ive noticed that stockpiles are pretty much required if you want your dwarfs to recognize anything. I had about 50 bolts laying around and my hunter refused to use them. Until they got put in a stockpile, that is.