Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refusing to use axes.  (Read 1299 times)

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves refusing to use axes.
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:35:47 am »

I made a fortress not too long ago, and everything was going fine. The designated woodcutter was doing his job, and cutting down trees. I ended up using all the wood fo beds and barrels as one would expect.
But after the second wave of migrants, everybody stopped touching the battle axes I had. They were just sitting in the weapon storage, un-used.
Anyone have any idea why this happened? I don't mind restarting if I have to, since the world is rather new, but I would rather not have to.
(Also, since I have no more wood I can't make any more barrels, and all my barrels are filled with food. I can get by sort of, but it's tough to get a balance between food and drink)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refusing to use axes.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:57:50 am »

I run into that barrel problem a lot. Just order a cook to make lavish meals and order your fields to go fallow for a season, maybe two. As a super fun bonus lavish meals often go for as much as an artifact.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:16:37 am »

Under the Stockpile menu, there's an option to set aside a certain number of barrels until they're required by workshop jobs. Doing this can ensure that you always have a reserve of a couple of barrels - useful if you realize that you've been neglecting to brew booze for your little fellas, but crop production has continued unabated.

Another tip is to invest in a Craftdwarf workshop. If you have a dwarf with the stonecrafting labor enabled, you can have them craft large numbers of stone pots, which both store more food than barrels and give you the option of saving your wood for other tasks.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:31:49 am »

Although all of this helps me with my barrel/alcohol problem, it doesn't really solve my 'Dwarves becoming tree-hugging hippy elves' problem. If I could make more barrels I would do so, but at the moment since I can't cut trees to get the wood I need, I can't.
I'm guessing this is a one-off bug of some kind?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:07:57 am »

Although all of this helps me with my barrel/alcohol problem, it doesn't really solve my 'Dwarves becoming tree-hugging hippy elves' problem. If I could make more barrels I would do so, but at the moment since I can't cut trees to get the wood I need, I can't.
I'm guessing this is a one-off bug of some kind?

Battleaxes designated for military use will be unavailable to civilians, and vice versa. I'm guessing you created a military squad and told them to use axes - the weapons are sitting in your stockpile because the squad is off duty. There is also a known problem with woodcutters in the military - they will use one axe for woodcutting and another for their uniform - if there are not enough axes, the civilian duty will be neglected.

Temporary solution - forge more axes. If you don't have a forge up and running, make training axes using your craftsdwarf's shop (if you have wood left). Otherwise you probably have to disband the squad (and free up any barracks) to clear the uniform assignments and free up the axes for civilian duty.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:46:57 am »

-basalt large pots- are fine.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 07:06:43 am »

I experienced this bug yesterday. My first woodcutter was also my grower, and once I'd built up my initial stockpile of wood I disabled his woodcutting. When my migrant woodcutter died, I decided to give him back his old job. Except that he wouldn't go and pick up the axe - he just sat in the dining room with no job.

There were multiple axes to choose from, and I hadn't created a military at all by then, so I don't think that could have been the reason.

Later he spontaneously decided to go and grab an axe and get to work. I wasn't paying complete attention, but I think it was after I made a new weapon stockpile and told them to stop leaving weapons in my original all-purpose "stuff" pile.

I've noticed someone else had a bug where dwarves wouldn't bring food inside from the wagon due to a stockpile glitch. Maybe this is somehow realted?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:19:47 am »

Try making them all marksdwarves. That should free up the axes, and give them the ability to chop down trees again.

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:55:14 pm »

Thanks for all the help, unfortunately an undead dragon decided my little fortress of 50 was a good start point for it's snack.
What a fun way to lose :P
Langdon had it, I had done just that. And now that I know this little fact, I will never have Axedwarves again. Warhammers and Crossbows it is. Maybe a Spear or two.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:26:36 pm »

Thanks for all the help, unfortunately an undead dragon decided my little fortress of 50 was a good start point for it's snack.
What a fun way to lose :P
Langdon had it, I had done just that. And now that I know this little fact, I will never have Axedwarves again. Warhammers and Crossbows it is. Maybe a Spear or two.

Axedwarves are fine, as long as

1) you never draft your woodcutters into the military, or remove the woodcutting labor once drafted
- or -
2) make sure there are twice as many axes for every axedwarf/woodcutter you have