Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Fortress Screen Snapshots!  (Read 5618 times)

Laser Cake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Screen Snapshots!
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 03:06:55 am »

An important Dwarf Fortress legacy announcement update!!!!  This fortress is called helpedrack! The population here is 113 dwarves, I'm quite excited to get a monarch on the scene to rule the shit out these dwarves!  Check it out!

Caption: This was taken during 3 simultaneous goblin ambushes, I managed to pull the drawbridge closed in time, that's when this snapshot was taken. But shortly afterwords some migrants arrived and were promptly slaughtered, the surviving 2 wild eyed migrants, with the deaths of their allies fresh in their memories, blood splatter still caked on their trembling dwarfy hands, had the gall to walk right up to the front of my fortress, goblin hordes in tow, and demand to be let in!  Well, I've always thought of myself as a fair ruler, only butchering the ugly kittens and so on. so I opened the bridge, and you can guess what happened next.  My shitty military squads did sweet FA while the goblin ambushers bum rushed the entrance in an orgy of debauched slaughter, fitting, cause each and every one of those goblins got an ass full of wooden spike, but not before they managed to take down one of my favourite dwarves-old Timmy McIdle-now forever half-assedly immortalized in a budget coffin somewhere near the clothier's shop, we'll miss you Terry.   

Don't know if this should go in the story section or not, consider it a caption for now.

Really nice job, Laser Cake. In my next fort or two, I'm going to try for a more natural look, too. I always seem to get really bored of my forts when they follow a specific, predetermined layout. I'd prefer them to be unorganised but with character rather than super-efficient and bland.

Thanks, I like a fortress with character too, post the screens when you got em.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screen Snapshot of my fortress!
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 02:32:22 pm »

Ok, so I just finished building the drawbridge, and lo! AMBUSH! As soon as my pithy squad fell to goblin swords all my helpful dwarves ran out of the fortress to their doom, took 37 of 75 of them dying before I found the burrow/military/civilan alerts thingy. On the bright side I cut WAY down on idlers...  Still, quite content with the fortress aesthetic as a whole, even though everyone is now going insane!

It sounds like you're having good, proper DF fun. Welcome to the game! :D

I should be less obsessive about fort-planning, too. Painstainkindly pre-planned layouts can be fun, but I need some more spontaneity now and then.

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 04:30:36 pm »

My current fort:

First we have the above ground bit. The stairs each lead up to a 3x3 watchtower, and the pump empties the drowning chamber.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then, the first underground level. Not much here, just the drowning chamber and its controls.

The second underground layer is a little more interesting, as it is the non-food workshop area. Note the 3x3 staircases, they go through the entire fort.

The third underground layer here is the farms, stockpiles, and food preparation area. The bit at the bottom is one further stockpile being dug out, as I am running out of space in the finished goods stockpile.

There is nothing on the fourth layer apart from stairs, as it half rock and half soil, which I can't stand. The fifth layer, however, houses the bedrooms and the dining rooms.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:32:15 pm by Mekboy »
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Jororked Forgefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 12:53:49 pm »

Drivemetal  31.22 map with lots of resting dwarfs.  Twin choke points using the rivers, save those pesky amphibians.  Tunnels under the rivers = cheap and easy meat or invader death.  I would split the channel around the outside into two tunnels with one open to lure things in, close it up with some drawbridges and lever spike stuff until it stops moving.   Ramps in the back are just up until the roof gets finished. 

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »

My fortress, Bucklepolished
The first sight of a fortress from many a weary migrant,protected by two layers of walls, dwarves have an ample supply of clean water from a nearby pond.
The second and largest level. It contains the beds, kitchen, farm plots, dining room, and unbeknowst to traders, an altar to war!
3rd level, containing the smithies and bars that supply the fortresses military. Also houses the offices of our psychiatrist and manager
And the fourth level, containing the military. A archery range is in the second barrack room and weapons can be found in the middle of the two
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:42:23 pm by Icee77 »

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 09:57:46 pm »

My current fortress "Pissdrenched".

The entrance is at the top, visitors are forced to walk right along the perimeter to get in. All the traps are stone-fall traps, but I just had a messy seige.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 11:35:31 pm »

Edit: Wrong thread, belongs in Stonesense Screenshots.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:22:36 pm by xordae »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2011, 12:55:52 am »

Speaking of ambushes, your front entrance is wide open. Any unwelcome visitors can walk right in. At the very least you need to get a drawbridge built and linked to a lever so you can button up if unfriendlies arrive. They'll waltz right in, take a right into your dining room and reduce the number of idlers, at least.

Keith

That, and I put some rows of cage traps inside the doorway before building the gate, they're great early warning, stop most things including Titans and Dragons and you don't need to pull a lever or anything.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 08:33:39 am »

Current Fort: Rimwork the Dreadful Camp
Year 3
Population: 70ish
Status: Captain of the Guard throwing tantrums in canon with the workforce. Imprisonment sentences exceeding prison capacity. Dwindling population levels due to insanity, murder and pure stupidity. Elven watery deathtrap euthanasia program awaiting further construction.
Salvagable? Maybe. Reclamation? Most likely. Fun? Hell yes.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 10:51:52 am »

A small sample of an aboveground (mostly) fort. Note its complete lack of planning.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 11:23:02 am »

My fortress is such a mess these days.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 12:27:04 pm »

I should be less obsessive about fort-planning, too. Painstainkindly pre-planned layouts can be fun, but I need some more spontaneity now and then.
There is nothing on the fourth layer apart from stairs, as it half rock and half soil, which I can't stand.

The worst thing that can happen to you is, after designating the entire layout of your fort, putting about an hours worth of work into it and then after waiting an age for your miners to dig some of it out for your other dwarves to occupy, you realise that there's a soil/rock split down the middle of your design.
FUUUUUUU-
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »

My current fort is just a muddy hole in the ground full of pumps and windmills, a result of several botched aquifer penetration attempts, but this thread did remind me that I'd got some old screenshots lying around.

From way back in the 40d days... Helmwrung:
http://mrp.ath.cx/stuff/Helmwrung-12-region1-108-16191.png

In all the time I've been playing, this is one of only four or five forts that I've been really happy with, that had a nice functional layout that also looked nice.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »

I'm playing succession game with my friends and one of them has played df very little so we've had a lots of Fun. The fort is very beautiful too. Sadly our embark doesnt seem to have any useable minerals and goblinite is mostly copper too. 120+ filled coffins and 18 dorfs alive. For some reason, I had to carry the clothes of dead dwarves inside, and now they clutter the diding hall and hallways.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:58:28 pm by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]