Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Desert nanofort  (Read 601 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Desert nanofort
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:42:02 pm »

Well, I'm on my third year of managing a desert nanofort (1x1, special utility)

The embark is quite good. Most of the rock is obsidian with some gabbro, i've got more than enough copper, tin, silver, enough iron ore, infinite freshwater at Z-level -10, and the magma sea is a Z-level -15 only. And I even fell straight on an adamantine vein !

As usual for me I am on an untamed wilds warm badlands, enough trees for my needs, enough plants as well. Perfectly flat so I'm not complaining.

Now the problem is, after having a good bunch (though less than usual) of various camels and vultures, a few buzzards,  one or two giant felines and only three Giant Desert Scorpions (I caught two of them as a breeding pair, the third one was KILLED by a hunter GRR)

It's nearly perfect excepted for the lack of flux and coal, and the scarcity of iron (then again, I put volcanism epically high in worldgen) so I must import marble from the caravan, but it has been two or three seasons I have not seen any wild animals.

Generally on untamed wilds you can except two or three clusters of animals at the same time, but me... nothing. I have caught nothing in my cage traps (apart from goblins) since a bit of time.

Also, what is more surprising,  not ONE subterranean creature has appeared EVER since the start of the fortress apart from forgotten beasts. NOT ONE. Apart from vermin.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desert nanofort
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:46:50 pm »

Same thing happened in my most recent fort. I think it was untamed wilds too. Hunter probably hunted everything to extinction during the first year in my case. Nothing ever spawned after that except a Forgotten Beast party.

One of them's a blob made of fire with 2 tails. I'm not sure I want to go down there anymore.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:50:20 pm »

I had a similar problem, where creatures from one of the biomes in my area stopped appearing.
I don't know what causes it.  Might want to check the bug tracker.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

ST753M

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:22:33 pm »

I had this problem when I last used nanofort (0.31.18 I think).  1x2 embarks worked fine, but 1x1 didn't have animals.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:27:23 pm »

Well the warm badlands untamed wilds biome I am in is not especially big (something like 100 map tiles)... Could it be that I just raped the whole desert's ecosystem ?

But I didn't killed THAT much camels in fact... like roughly 40 camels (I bred a good part of them), roughly 20 vultures, 9 buzzards, 1 GDS...