Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I might die of thirstiness  (Read 504 times)

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
I think I might die of thirstiness
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:47:09 pm »

Well, be the first time I die of natural/forced natural causes in DF DF mode. My dwarves are running around with the old blue down arrow. I have rum, but it may be that the number of barrels are too few to drink from (maybe I'll make mugs...just in case). The surface water sources got contaminated, and periodically freeze. My dwarves were dependent on them in the beginning. One of my running theories is that maybe one of them peed in the water and ruined it for everybody.

2 animals, I believe, died of thirst and starvation, but I didn't care. Then one of my military dwarves died of thirst. I'll probably have to dig down to the caverns if they love to drink and give water so much. Any ideas of how I screwed up?

I'm don't remember the specifics (temperature/elevation/etc.) of where I embarked on.

But in other good news all but one of the strange moods went ok.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: I think I might die of thirstiness
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:55:10 am »

Number of things going on here.
First off it could be the dwarves have been drinking too much rum and will now not touch the stuff for a long time.

Second the barrels could be forbidden, meaning the dwarves are unable to drink from it.

The barrels could also be in a location where the dwarves can't path to, check you haven't locked doors or anything.

The problem could be that you have too few barrels, but this seems unlikely. You'd need a very large population and a very small amount of barrels for this to become a problem at all.

Check to see if you're dwarves are set to a burrow, they will only path to water/food if they're about to die. I've had military dwarves die from thirst from long patrols or fighting, that could be the problem.

As far as i know, animals can't die of thirst. Ever. So it's likely they died from a lack of food (if they're grazers, no other animal will starve)

Dwarves will not use mugs, they serve only as a trade good. Dwarves _should_ still drink from contented water if they have to, getting bad thoughts. Might seem like a stupid question, but did you check to see if the water wasn't ice? The water can also dry up to become "a murky pool" in very hot climates, meaning there is no water to collect.

A long shot: I believe there was an animal that could be slain in 40D which meat was "a bit spicy" or the like. It would make dwarves thirsty. I think it was a fireimp or something like that.