Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thank you, Toady  (Read 2485 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you, Toady
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 04:30:59 am »

You'd like this then: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TextbookHumor
One particularly memorable example being an A-Level maths book containing a page titled "Cows". It's about cows. It has a brief list of the differences between some breeds of cow, and some cow-related puns on song titles ("Milk me baby one more time"(?!)). Then it just goes back to maths.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 04:33:33 am »

Oh god, you linked to TV Tropes. It's 5:30 AM. I'm going to miss class.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 05:58:27 am »

Poor people are usually poor for a reason. Sometimes that reason may be generosity.

Or in 99.9% of the cases, the reasons may be completely beyond their control.
I'd be interested in seeing a source for that statistic.

First give a definition about what kind of poor we are talking. Absolute or relative?
And if you decide for the latter there is tons of different definitions on it.
(There is also more than one for the first.)
If you are really interested in a theoretical and empiric foundation of that claim you better go and read Marx, and when you are done with that go and read Max Weber, and when you are done with that you may want to look at something more modern, maybe Lazarsfeld(still old) or Hradil.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 07:21:42 am »

I don't know who took a sincere thank you -thread and dumped crap all over it, but I do know there's been some trolling going on here.

To restore the thread's original purpose; Thank you, original poster, and I agree fully that Toady deserves our praise.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 10:36:21 am »

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you people? Children, I swear.

I'd also like to express my gratitude toward Toady, the producer of a game without which I would have no excuse not to be productive.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 10:59:58 am »

I feel I donate quite well to the DF cause. The usual scenario is that I buy a full price retail game (about 70$ here in Denmark) and when I soon after realise that I both play and enjoy DF more, then I send a similar cashflow in the direction of bay12.  :-*

I'm a grown up full time employed software developer, so I'm only donating out of my excess, but the principle feels sound. If I'm willing and able to pay for a main stream game, then I'm also willing and able to help the game I enjoy.  :)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 05:14:16 pm »

steve says HEYO

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »

I don't know who took a sincere thank you -thread and dumped crap all over it, but I do know there's been some trolling going on here.
Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you people? Children, I swear.

Sorry for contributing to the derail, but calling out Cruxador for implying the OP is 'poor' because he deserves it isn't really trolling so much as trying to get someone to realize those sorts of comments are both false and hurtful- not only to the OP, but to the ideas of compassion and empathy in general.  But since he's decided not to actually explain what he meant, I'm going to assume he realized that.   So yeah, sorry again it had to happen here.

And, of course, Thank You Toady, and thank you OP for doing what you can to support the dev in whatever ways are available to you.
Pages: 1 [2]