Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chaos Walking Series  (Read 1038 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chaos Walking Series
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:01:00 pm »

Right now I am reading the third and last book of the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness. Through the entire book, I feel like the entire world is just like Dwarf Fortress. Are there any books or parts that remind you of moments in Dwarf Fortress?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Chaos Walking Series
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:03:15 pm »

Care to elaborate at all?

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:05:24 pm »

Well, theres a race called "The Spackle", there basically elves and the humans went to war with them and kicked their asses.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:19:47 pm »

The Ginger Man is a book about someone who's basically always drunk and/or hungover, conning food and alcohol from people, sleeping with as many women as possible, ignoring his kid, and getting in fights for little to no reason.

Basically, the main character (and his friends) are dwarfs.

A quote from it: "When I die I want to decompose in a barrel of porter and have it served in all the pubs in Ireland."

Similarly, the main character from Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me: when a cashier demands he pay with something other than silver dollars, he screams "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? DO YOU? DO YOU? I am KING FUCKING MONTEZUMA! And THIS is the COIN of my KINGDOM! I will TEAR your HEART from your CHEST at the top of a pyramid. AND EAT IT RAW!"

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »

The Mortal Engines Quartet. Cities on wheels eating each other. And elfy people who don't like that, and hide behind a giant wall.
And it gets dwarfier in the fourth book. There's an underground city that digs through the soil, and an attempt to destroy humanity by blowing up volcanoes with a giant space laser.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:48:59 pm »

Thud! by Terry Pratchett is a nice exploration into a version of Dwarven culture. It takes the question of the female dwarf and turns it into a gigantic parody of the political nonsense surrounding gender and sexual orientation. It also delineates the difference between what Toady is referring to as mountain and hill dwarves in the latest DF talk.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!