Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soap is fixed, so why arn't they using it?  (Read 1557 times)

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soap is fixed, so why arn't they using it?
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:22:02 pm »

So I have made a few bars of soap, and I set them on a stockpile next to a little dipping pool. I also have a well in the other room. I was wondering when exactly dwarves will decide to go clean themselves up. All the bars I have made for them have been left dormant for a year now.

I know they are all covered in blood, why aren't they cleaning themselves? Do I need to make a hospital zone before they do this?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Soap is fixed, so why arn't they using it?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:41:17 pm »

So I have made a few bars of soap, and I set them on a stockpile next to a little dipping pool. I also have a well in the other room. I was wondering when exactly dwarves will decide to go clean themselves up. All the bars I have made for them have been left dormant for a year now.

I know they are all covered in blood, why aren't they cleaning themselves? Do I need to make a hospital zone before they do this?

I think they like to use the well for some reason.  Try building one of those.

Alternately, try marking that dipping pool as a water source.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:47:46 pm »

Well I do have both a well and a dipping pool next to the soap bars. So I have just been waiting for one of them to use some soap.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:18:17 pm »

Well I do have both a well and a dipping pool next to the soap bars. So I have just been waiting for one of them to use some soap.

They might also have to be infected or injured somehow, rather than merely being dirty.  And I would still mark your pool as a water source, just for good measure.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:12:09 pm »

I'm wondering if the fix to stop dwarves from spamming messages when trying to use soap may have been to disable dwarves from using soap outside the hospital entirely.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:06:49 am »

I'm wondering if the fix to stop dwarves from spamming messages when trying to use soap may have been to disable dwarves from using soap outside the hospital entirely.

That's possible.  I always put one of my wells in the hospital, anyhow.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 12:07:07 am »

I hope you are wrong, but you have a point.

One of the reasons I want them to clean themselves, is because I hear all the records of what messes they have attached to their bodies slows the FPS.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:22:05 am »

I hope you are wrong, but you have a point.

One of the reasons I want them to clean themselves, is because I hear all the records of what messes they have attached to their bodies slows the FPS.

I think it's actually the continual spread of messes that kills FPS.  In that regard, I suggest downloading dfhack and using dfcleanmap periodically.

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:26 am »

I heard that to, but then I was hearing about how it is a good idea to trap a bunch of dwarves behind a water pit, and force them to run though it to clean it off. I did this once a long time again, and it DID seem to help.

I embarked to a 2x2, map and I am going to make a magma shoot refuse pile, so I hope I will be able to keep FPS high. Capping the dwarves at 50 shouldn't hurt either, but I found that it didn't make that much of a difference in the long run.