Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Brand new player: Possessed!  (Read 4227 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brand new player: Possessed!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 03:41:51 am »

The ill-fated possessed dwarf finally died.  Prior to his demise, I dug out the first crypt in my fort, made a stone coffin, put a door on the little crypt, and assigned the guy to it.  At some point, while, I think, wandering around outside, he died.  I have no idea how to get his body (what's left of it...the description now says the top half is gone!) into his tomb.  Thoughts?
Hit 'q', select teh coffin, and specify it as an available burial site.  the surviving dwarves should haul his body (and belongings) to the coffin and entomb him.  And all dead dwarves are missing their upper bodies.  Not sure why, just that it always appears that way.

Not so new myself, but this reminded me of a question I ran into recently ... are there more than three types of cloth?

I had a moody dwarf that wanted cloth, but I wasn't able to tell what type.  However, I had bought a bunch of cloth from a trader earlier in the year (was just over 18 game months into the fort at the time), and when I checked the stocks screen it listed rope-reed, pig-tail, yak-yarn and (iirc) sheep, giant cave spider silk and cave spider silk cloth.  I didn't have any weaving set up yet (had to build a clothier shop just for his mood), so I had to build a loom on the off chance I misread something, and saw cloth while looking at thread.  I burned through all the thread, saw it get hauled in the direction of my main stockpile (but also my hospital), but he never went to use any of it.  I had him locked in the room (a farm spot yet to be irrigated as it was dry stone) awaiting his inevitable death through insanity when .25 came out, so I just started a new world and moved on.

tl;dr -- i had all three types of cloth, and even if i didn't before i did after building the loom, but the moody idiot still didn't like my selection.  what was wrong?

Was there anything else he wanted first?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 03:43:57 am »

tl;dr -- i had all three types of cloth, and even if i didn't before i did after building the loom, but the moody idiot still didn't like my selection.  what was wrong?

There are a couple of possibilities there. One, you had the right kind of cloth, but it was claimed by your hospital. From what I understand, cloth claimed for hospital use is unavailable, even to moody dwarves, who can be kind of pushy about what they take otherwise. Two, cloth wasn't the problem - it was some other ingredient that the dwarf was stuck on. Probably something the dwarf wanted more than one of, making it a bit more difficult to predict.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 05:14:37 am »

If they're not collecting the corpse, there might be a few reasons why.

- Check that someone has the burial labour enabled. They all should by default, but I don't know what you've been messing with.

- It's possible in the orders menu (o) & forbid sub-menu (shift+f) to automatically have dead dwarves forbidden. It should be off by default, but if you've turned it on you may have to manually reclaim the body - either by looking (l) at the corpse and claiming it (f), or designating the whole tile to be claimed (d)(b)(c).

- Sometimes dead dwarves tumble into unreachable places, like rivers. You may not be able to recover the body unless you build pumps and stuff to get the water out.

If you can't recover the body, you might need this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:16:50 am by Newbunkle »

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 10:29:11 am »

OK, if I go to "R" for Building/Room info and see "Grave" and his name is listed next to it, does that mean he's safely interred?  I don't see anything when I looK at the coffin space, but the burial site room does say it's his resting place.  Just making sure.  Plus, there's a pair of silk trousers laying on the floor inside the tomb.  Hopefully that's an end of it.

Oh, and I had another dwarf become possessed, a lowly relative newcomer who was only a Milker.  Had to build her a Craftsdwarf workshop, and a smelter to supply her with a metal bar (platinum, as it turns out...).  She made a beautiful, birchen crown worth about $53,000.  After hearing that value attracts Fun (and since I have no military to speak of and don't really know how to establish one), I was looking forward to trading it at a sizable loss to the next merchants to roll through.  Friggin' Elves.  Kept the wooden thingie hidden away. :-/  We'll see how it goes!
Randy...

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 10:31:38 am »

I think if you use (t) to look at the coffin it will list his skeleton and body parts in it as items (assuming they put him inside). I don't think it counts as a proper burial if they've assigned him a coffin but haven't put his remains in it yet.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 01:25:03 pm »

I was looking forward to trading it at a sizable loss to the next merchants to roll through.

Here's the really fun part about artifacts like that - you can't trade them. Artifact crafts can't do anything except sit in a stockpile and raise fortress value, generally. That said, your artifact is flammable, and artifacts never take damage. If you can find a way to safely light it on fire, you will have a perpetually burning birchen crown. Not something I'd recommend for a beginner to try, and it's technically something you could do if you wanted to.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 02:02:48 pm »

I was looking forward to trading it at a sizable loss to the next merchants to roll through.

Here's the really fun part about artifacts like that - you can't trade them. Artifact crafts can't do anything except sit in a stockpile and raise fortress value, generally. That said, your artifact is flammable, and artifacts never take damage. If you can find a way to safely light it on fire, you will have a perpetually burning birchen crown. Not something I'd recommend for a beginner to try, and it's technically something you could do if you wanted to.

Fun! ;-)
Randy...

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 02:08:21 pm »

Bonus points for enshrining it, abandoning, going back in adventure mode, and using it as a projectile weapon.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 02:35:39 pm »

Bonus points for enshrining it, abandoning, going back in adventure mode, and using it as a projectile weapon.

Or, if you're playing in a modded version that has non-starving Kobolds or new races that steal items instead of children, leaving it outside to kill off thieves.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 02:40:01 pm »

Some guy found out that kobolds resist fire when they stole a flaming artifact and went off the screen. Temperature was on, it started a big fire.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »

If you are still having trouble with your military, and setting one up, this link helped me through.
http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/28/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-10-%E2%80%9Csoldiers-and-your-army%E2%80%9D/
It also has loads of information on different pages, so it helps even more.
Pages: 1 2 [3]