Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Source Bug(?)  (Read 2022 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Source Bug(?)
« on: March 25, 2011, 02:43:06 am »

I'm trying to designate these murky pools as water sources, and they're not registering as them for some reason.  When I put a zone over it I designate them as fishing spots fine, but not water?  There's a volcano in the middle of my map, could that be causing it?  I guess I'll dig deep and hope there an ocean in one of my caverns, but considering I don't even have my farming up yet, that's not really what I want to do.  Any information on pools of water not being designatable as water sources?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Water Source Bug(?)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:25:40 am »

if the interactivity zone menu says it isn't a water source, it isn't a water source. also remember salt water is not drinkable, either. as well, there are priorities to water quality; "murky pools" are the lowest, while fresh water from a river is higher, and booze is obviously the highest priority to drink from (for alcohol dependent and drink-stealing creatures)

edit - additionally, dwarves will drink water from a well regardless of the water quality below it; stagnant swamp water or not. (salt water still probably won't work)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:24:38 am »

If you embarked on a coastal area, most if not all murky pools will be salt water. You can desalinate the water by first building a reservoir that is either

i) entirely constructed - this includes walls, the floor, and the ceiling. Usually made outside. Make a hole at the top for your well if you want access to water fast. Note that if you're on a freezing biome, the water will freeze if it is outside. If there's a well there when it freezes, the well will deconstruct.

ii) underground, but the walls and floor must be constructed.

Secondly, build a screw pump from your murky pool and pump water into your reservoir. Make sure none of the water touches the natural ground, be it stone or soil, otherwise it will turn salty.

Another note regarding wells; the water need not be 1z level below the well, as long as the well has a straight shot to the water source, it can be several z levels below the well. You will see the bucket moving through the z levels as the well is used. You can have several wells sharing the same hole for water as well, they don't block each other.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:07:56 am »

If you embarked on a coastal area, most if not all murky pools will be salt water. You can desalinate the water by first building a reservoir that is either

i) entirely constructed - this includes walls, the floor, and the ceiling. Usually made outside. Make a hole at the top for your well if you want access to water fast. Note that if you're on a freezing biome, the water will freeze if it is outside. If there's a well there when it freezes, the well will deconstruct.

ii) underground, but the walls and floor must be constructed.

Secondly, build a screw pump from your murky pool and pump water into your reservoir. Make sure none of the water touches the natural ground, be it stone or soil, otherwise it will turn salty.

Another note regarding wells; the water need not be 1z level below the well, as long as the well has a straight shot to the water source, it can be several z levels below the well. You will see the bucket moving through the z levels as the well is used. You can have several wells sharing the same hole for water as well, they don't block each other.
Its nice to remember that if you have a well taking water from a cave waaaay below your fort, you have the risk of a dorf falling inside the well, being struck down after colliding with an obstacle.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:20:44 pm »

obviously this means all wells should be as deep as physically possible and situated on dangerous areas.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:48:17 pm »

obviously this means all wells should be as deep as physically possible and situated on dangerous areas.
Wells pull water from up to 30-Z levels bellow. That's more than enough to explode a dorf.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 01:31:27 pm »

Even better, Bomb the accursed beasts!
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:01:02 am »

I'm not on a coastal area, and it turns out the first cavern hasn't got water either.  I wasn't looking for drinking water, I just needed to have them dump it where I wanted a farm, I just dug out a plot next to the pool and unleashed it into it.

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:22:05 pm »

I'm not on a coastal area, and it turns out the first cavern hasn't got water either.  I wasn't looking for drinking water, I just needed to have them dump it where I wanted a farm, I just dug out a plot next to the pool and unleashed it into it.

no need for that any more.. you can make farms without irrigation.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:25:49 am »

no need for that any more.. you can make farms without irrigation.

Not on stone.