Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well, huh. (Plantless caverns and water)  (Read 747 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well, huh. (Plantless caverns and water)
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:20:56 am »

I've seen plenty of threads on here withe people going "My cavern has no plants! What gives?". The standard answer is "It's something that happens when there's no water, don't worry about it."

Well, I just broke into a cavern that's bare except for mud, cobwebs... and vast amounts of water. I literally just broke into it, so I haven't revealed much, but like 65% of what I can see is water.

So much for that theory, I guess. (And, ironically enough, my last game had a single cavern with no water at all and plenty of plant life!)

Edit: Screenshot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:33:45 am by AdeleneDawner »
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Well, huh. (Plantless caverns and water)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:36:06 am »

I've yet to get any cave without plants, regardless of the presence or total absence of water.
In fact, I routinely get caves with no water whatsoever, because of my gen settings, and there is always plenty of plants in them.

Seems to me that having no plants is caused by something else entirely.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:59:48 am »

If you haven't disabled other cavern layers, you may still end up with plenty of plants in this one once you breach the lower caves (assuming they have plants, of course).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:07:36 am »

The world was generated using the basic genner - it's a calm pocket world with a bunch of resources and very few civs, but otherwise unremarkable gen-wise.

I just breached the second (or third - I may have missed the first cavern entirely; I was digging for a while) cavern, and it's also barren.  I can't tell if it has water or not, but it has some of the most unusual terrain I've ever seen in a cavern: I've never seen sheer cliffs without there being a magma tube involved, before.

Bugged, maybe? I kind of like it though. Luckily I wasn't planning on doing anything with the caverns - I'm digging for magma.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:09:33 am »

Does your civ have access to dwarven plants?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:16:01 am »

Does your civ have access to dwarven plants?

Some significant subset therof, at least. I think quarry bushes and pig tails were missing on the embark list, but that's not too terribly unusual in .21. I do have plump helmets and stuff.

DFreveal indicates that cavern 2 is really, really tall and doesn't have any water, and cavern 3 does have plants.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:21:14 am »

In an attempt to improve FPS a bit I've been generating worlds with 2 cavern layers. In the last game I had the upper cavern was devoid of water and plants. The lower cavern had plenty of water and plants. This doesn't always happen but has happened to me before.

It might be related to drainage or something. maybe try creating a world with max drainage everywhere and see what happens.... I have yet to figure out what some of the worldgen parameters affect (like you need low elevation for oceans, high elevation for mountains, and I'm assuming you need high temperature and low rain for deserts....)

Wish there were more info on the wiki. Maybe I'll do some experiments and add my findings....

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 05:24:43 am »

Yeah, dig down a bit further. I've had a regular cavern with a barren one above it a couple of times now.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 08:49:40 am »

this is related to slope/stair bug in .22, i have same cavern reported it on bugtracker.