Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I JUST HAD AN IDEA  (Read 884 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
I JUST HAD AN IDEA
« on: March 24, 2011, 10:48:43 am »

So, I was thinking... What if people, when making statues and things of the sort, make imaginary creatures? They could be generated like the forgotten beasts and demons and such, but never actually exist. Maybe the creativity could play a role in how often they create such creatures. Example: Lowest creativity= Never makes an imaginairy creature, and Highest creativity= Almost every time makes said creatures.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I JUST HAD AN IDEA
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:23 am »

I'd rather not.  That would get to be a headache pretty fast.  We already have lols in the forums when we try to decide what a FB looks like, like the quadruped spider.  Do you want that for every statue?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:55:30 am »

I don't want images of creatures, I want images of my dwarves killing elfs and stuff like that.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:56:51 am »

There should be some obvious sign of imagination in some dwarves. I mean, almost every statue of mine is dwarves or plump helmet men.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 11:01:14 am »

There are already "signs of imagination" in dwarves; you just need to assign a creative dwarf as an engraver.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 11:52:29 am »

This is because you lack Fun, and you lack imagination yourself.  If you get a statue of an elf killing a dwarf in your dining hall, that's not lame.  That's incentive!  That's an urge for all future dwarves to correct the unjustice done to them!  Or get in a siege and start engraving.  You'll get plenty of images of dwarves injuring and killing goblins.  If nothing is going on, nothing will be recorded.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:31:32 pm »

I can this being cool if it happened in strange moods or something. It would be off-putting for all the statues to be of teal three-eyed chimichangas. For a dwarf to have a vision of dread (or awe-inspiring) creatures now again could be neat-o.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »

Centaurs.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:00 pm »

I thought there were already mythical beasts like that and such. Griffins are one example. I'm not sure if they are used in recorded images like engravings and statues though...

Regardless, that would make statues a bit to random. :\
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 01:14:39 am »

Please summarize your idea in the topic title. Otherwise, we need to read it to find out if it's worth reading.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:32 am »

No you don't.  If someone didn't summarize the concept in the title, then it's not worth reading.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:32:56 am »

No you don't.  If someone didn't summarize the concept in the title, then it's not worth reading.

Not always true... but often true.

It was the CAPS that gave it away, for me.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.