Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newfangled jails  (Read 2846 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Newfangled jails
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 04:40:21 pm »

Idea: Train all dwarves in boozery and farming, then let them farm the prepared plot in the cell, and make their own food and booze, by the end of their stay the should be pretty ok at all of that, and the work should keep their spirits up.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 04:42:22 pm »

I don't think they could make booze, since being in jail implies being chained, with only a 3x3 area.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 04:43:40 pm »

you could make the cell include just enough of the workshops to be used, yes?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 04:46:56 pm »

Just overproduce plump helmets, limit plump helmet stockpile size, and put a 1x1 plump helmet stockpile in each prison cell. Then you can dig in a sewer system and allow prisoners to drink from water. If you're feeling very generous also give them a bed, but that is just pampering them.

Alternatively don't appoint a captain of the guard and ignore the dwarven injustice system entirely.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:55 pm »

I always turn my jails into resorts, complete with golden, gem encrusted statues, table and chair, bed, and a one tile prepared food stockpile and a one tile booze stockpile.

You are too easy on your dwarves, I turn my jails into mini torture chambers with a hatch above with water slowly bucket-brigaded into the cell, so they are covered in mud... or I put refuse stockpiles in there so they are surrounded by filth and decay. Im considering bulding a beehive in one if thats possible.

Its their fault for not being able to build an elk-bird horn door for my mayor on time. Let them tantrum :)

Any other dwarf-torture ideas?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:06 pm »

I don't think they could make booze, since being in jail implies being chained, with only a 3x3 area.
Chained creatures can move vertically as well as horizontally.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:24 pm »

Chained creatures can move vertically as well as horizontally.
They still wouldn't be able to operate a still, or at least I can't think of a way.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 09:48:02 pm »

In theory...

Code: [Select]
sss
SSS
SSS
+>+

s = inaccessible part of still
S = accessible part of still
+ = floor
> = stairs down to chain
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 10:02:04 pm »

I too have the issue of dwarves preferring to drink in the jail than in the dining hall-designated booze stockpiles, but having the booze stock take from the dining booze stock keeps it well... stocked. I just have to make sure the booze is constantly flowing.

My jailed dwarves only get three tiles to move through (not including the chain); those are taken up by a prepared food stockpile, a booze stockpile, and a bed. If my manager or bookie gets locked up? New manager or bookie.

However, I still laugh at the idea of "dwarven justice" in this game; the only occupant my jail has had was one of my woodcutters, whose only skill is woodcutting. His crime? Not making any bismuth objects (not bismuth bronze!) for my mayor. Poor bastard; hope he enjoyed the break.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 03:00:50 am »

I just choose not to have a captain or a jail. As it stands, people are getting thrown in jail too long, and for stupid mandates. Like requiring 3 iron items to be made...no trade caravan for 2 months, and 8 z-levels down, I can't find iron. BAM! 100+ days in jail.

I had a mayor that had a hard-on for crowns (I read it in his bio after this). Ordered me to make 3 of them, and right when traders came and I could unload the other 20 crowns that were also randomly made, he puts out a no crown export mandate.

I made the mistake of making my artifact-wielding super-soldier the captain. I couldn't understand why my dwarfs were dying and no enemies were near them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:12:44 am by dirty foot »

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 03:55:26 am »

I just remove tiles in the middle of my food stockpile and build the restraints on that spot.  Lazy and simple, but it works great.  Having them chained up with a golden rope encrusted with gems helps too.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 [2]