Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Marksdwarfs  (Read 1037 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Stupid Marksdwarfs
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:04:21 pm »

My marksdwarfs keep moving to really stupid places. I have tried having layers of fortifications two tiles thick, but they still try to move to the wrong side of the wall. Is there any way to stop them from doing this other than to use up precious z levels or use lots of space on a wall in my maze that is three fortifications thick?

[edit:] Also, I still can't seem to get my marksdwarves to pick up ammo that is in bins...

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:17:57 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Marksdwarfs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:55:00 pm »

Station them 2 or 3 spaces back from the wall on the side you want them on. That works for me.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:58:58 pm »

Burrows.  Make a burrow that is just the inside of the fortification and assign your marksdwarf squad to defend it.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:23:04 pm »

Assigning them a patrol route that cruises back and forth along the wall just behind the fortifications works well for me.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:17:31 pm »

Burrows.  Make a burrow that is just the inside of the fortification and assign your marksdwarf squad to defend it.
I've been doing that for ages, but never found out if they'd shoot at hostiles outside the burrow.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:52:04 am »

I generally make my shooting balconies about 2 tiles wide behind the fortification tile, then move the squad to the inner wall away from the fortification tiles.  But I also make sure that all other routes to the target area are closed (drawbridges).

The "move to" seems to put them at the location, +/- 2 squares in any direction.  So by making the area a little wider, they end up in the right spot.  And if I'm really worried, I setup a little 1 tile nook to make the area 3-tiles wide at that point.