Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't Mess With Dwarven Mothers...or Legendary Marksdwarves  (Read 2040 times)

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't Mess With Dwarven Mothers...or Legendary Marksdwarves
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:33:41 am »

Anybody else noticed that highly-trained military will sometimes fight even when off-duty?

My squad of legendary marksdwarf females was outside gathering up goblinite from an ambush. Their umpteen children were hovering around them in a cloud, as usual.

A goblin snatcher chose this extremely poor moment to pop in. I moved to activate the squad, so they would pincushion him instead of running away.

But before I even did that, the screen was a blur of flying bolts and the snatcher went down about three ticks after stepping foot on the map. They were firing as civilians - I could tell because their appearance didn't change to their armor like it does when you activate a squad.

Related: legendary marksdwarves have seriously enhanced range. The same squad had been sent out to clear the ambush because the stupid ambushers wouldn't come around to the entrance to be killed properly. I had expected casualties because the ambushers were also crossbow users - but ONE of my girls (she got there first) opened fire from 40+ tiles away and took out half the squad with brutal headshots before the rest fled. The goblins died without getting off a single shot.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Mess With Dwarven Mothers...or Legendary Marksdwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:45:36 am »

Aren't legendary military dwarves considered Champions(or heroes, can't remember), and thus are always on duty?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:45:59 am »

That's 40d.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 12:23:22 pm »

My 31.23 fort has a hunter who has never, ever been in the military and isn't legendary. A goblin thief popped up near him. He did his very best to fill the goblin with bolts.
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

fox967

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:33:11 pm »

Maybe it has something to do with the fact they were equipped with bows? Im only guessing here, but ive noticed that most dwarves will run from an enemy, unless they are in an active squad. But bowdwarfs wouldnt be near the enemy, so wouldnt feel the need to run, and therfore able to use their weapons.

Maybe?

Im only guessing, so who knows.
Quote from: Argoroth
Quote from: NRN_R_Sumo1
at this point I'd wager on it being either a penis or a beard.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Of course it's either a penis or a beard!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:39:49 pm »

every dwarf in my fort has a crossbow, quiver and bolts for just such an occasion
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »

Hunters are like that. My hunter also helped with a giant that came as an uninvited guest, together with 15+ wrestlers, one of which was missing a foot and uses a larch crutch to bash the giant on the head.

...good thing one person brought a steel axe eventually...

Oh, and a previous giant in another fort back in .18 died of a pick to the head, in a single blow, from a non-military miner.

It's a good thing that civilians help out sometimes! When they have tools to do so...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 02:01:17 pm »

I think Miners and Woodcutters are considered to be in the military / and active squad, when it comes to running from enemies, because they have a uniform that gives them their pick or axe.

bp1986

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:06:32 pm »

every dwarf in my fort has a crossbow, quiver and bolts for just such an occasion

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but could you expand on how you pulled that off? The military windows are still rather confusing to me and I would love to have my civies actually stand and fight Urist McAngryMason. (or at least try to get in a hit before dieing)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:10:55 pm »

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but could you expand on how you pulled that off? The military windows are still rather confusing to me and I would love to have my civies actually stand and fight Urist McAngryMason. (or at least try to get in a hit before dieing)

I believe the trick is that you put everyone into archer squads but keep them inactive, that way they'll carry a crossbow on their person. Haven't tried it myself as I don't have enough crossbows to do that yet.

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 08:23:06 am »

I believe the trick is that you put everyone into archer squads but keep them inactive, that way they'll carry a crossbow on their person. Haven't tried it myself as I don't have enough crossbows to do that yet.

I would try that out but assigning every dwarf into a squad is just pain in the ass because they show up in the list even though they are in a squad already so you accidentally assign the same dwarves to different squads every time

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:43:05 am »

I would try that out but assigning every dwarf into a squad is just pain in the ass because they show up in the list even though they are in a squad already so you accidentally assign the same dwarves to different squads every time

On the upper right-hand corner, on the screen when you're selecting a dwarf to put them in a squad, it tells you whether that dwarf is already in a squad or not (and which squad).