Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming question  (Read 472 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Farming question
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:07 pm »

Can you plant plump helmets and cave wheat on sand? Grass doesn't seem to mind growing on it. How about cave foliage?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Farming question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:44:26 pm »

If the tile is marked as subterranean then yes.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:50:58 pm »

Another question-- How necesary is potash for farming? I seem to be farming fine without any...
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:01 pm »

I think I've used potash maybe once, early on, when I first started playing.  I never bother with it anymore, it's far too each to overproduce crops even without it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:12:30 pm »

Potash helps getting more plants from every seed early on with low skilled planters, and with legendary farmers it ensures huge stacks of plants resulting in barrels with more booze / bags with more quarry bush leaves (the latter being nice if you plan on exporting meals). With wood coming for near no price at all in 3/4 seasons and the process requiring nothing more than buying the wood and punching in make ash x30 in the manager and setting all fields to season fert on, I see no reason not to use it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:14:54 pm »

Potash is good for a quick boost of production.
I never use it, so it's probably not essential.

Some farming tips: Use a small numper of skilled growers rather than a large number of unskilled, and turn the
  • rder "all dwarveves harvest" to "only farmers harvest", or you'll be wasting grower xp on non-grower dwarves.