Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer Explosion, 5 killed in titanic blast  (Read 875 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifer Explosion, 5 killed in titanic blast
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:21:32 am »

How to aquifers generate? Is it supposed to me a single, flat plane of water? Do they cover the entire layer? Cause this embark seems to have either several aquifers spread out on different levels, or one huge one that comes up higher in several spots than others. I have yet to be able to get through it, begining to think it's a lost cause.

Yeah, this is the second embark I've done and been unable to get through the aquifer. I try a plug method, which worked for me before, but now it doesn't. Seems after I drop the plug and try to tunnel through it, there's MORE aquifer beneath it that the plug failed to... plug.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:23:36 am by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

BulMaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok follower
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer Explosion, 5 killed in titanic blast
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:50 am »

If you have two or more different biomes try digging down through one of the other ones. The Aquifer might not be present in them.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:18:09 am »

It may well be the case that you have multiple layers of aquifer. Far and away my favorite aquifer-piercing method is the one on the first page of this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.0

The only downside is that it requires rocks for mechanisms, but otherwise it's quite fun, and very reliable.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:08:35 am »

Aquifers usually cover all, or most, of the tiles in a given layer in a given biome.  There may be multiple layers -- my current fortress on my home machine has 2 soil layers of aquifer.  I pierced it using QuantumMenace's method.

I believe there can be "dry spots" in an aquifer layer, but I don't know how common they are.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz