Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Kaolinite an economic stone.  (Read 882 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Make Kaolinite an economic stone.
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:44:53 am »

Right now it isn't, which is annoying because I'd like to be able to forbid it for use for anything but ceramics.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Make Kaolinite an economic stone.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:46:47 am »

Z stocks menu
stone
Kaolinite
Mark as economic.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:48:14 am »

Okay, perhaps I should rephrase this.

Add "Ceramics" to the list of specific uses for kaolinite, so that you can restrict it. As of now it has no specific uses listed, so you can't do that.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:54:29 am »

Ah-ha, now that I agree with.  You can always add a dummy reaction that uses kaolinite, add a reaction class to it, and then it'll show up with that on it.  Kinda haxy, but you do what you can, right?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:07:08 am »

Okay, perhaps I should rephrase this.

Add "Ceramics" to the list of specific uses for kaolinite, so that you can restrict it. As of now it has no specific uses listed, so you can't do that.

This is a good idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:56:12 pm »

Ah-ha, now that I agree with.  You can always add a dummy reaction that uses kaolinite, add a reaction class to it, and then it'll show up with that on it.  Kinda haxy, but you do what you can, right?

Could this also be used as a workaround to the bug that prevents obsidian from appearing in the menu at all?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »

No, that's for a different reason.  Obsidian has an edge token, which is used for weapons, but being a stone it's treated differently than metal types.  You can solve this by closing the game, removing the edge token, opening the game, saving and quitting, and then re-adding the token.  This causes the brief run to recognize obsidian as a proper stone and appear on the list, and it remembers this even after it's given an edge again.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Talk:Obsidian

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:23:06 pm »

No, that's for a different reason.  Obsidian has an edge token, which is used for weapons, but being a stone it's treated differently than metal types.  You can solve this by closing the game, removing the edge token, opening the game, saving and quitting, and then re-adding the token.  This causes the brief run to recognize obsidian as a proper stone and appear on the list, and it remembers this even after it's given an edge again.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Talk:Obsidian

What's the cutoff value for that? Because technically all materials have a MAX_EDGE token, its just that the default value in the stone template is 1000.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:24:11 pm »

I think it's 10000.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 08:17:12 am »

No idea, but I've done this before (using DFHack to plant obsidian) and the raw-editing works.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 08:28:53 am »

I think it's 10000.
The cutoff is indeed 10000 - if I set a stone's MAX_EDGE to 10000 then it disappears from the economic stones list, and if I reduce it to 9999 then it reappears.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.