Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Construction Fix  (Read 719 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Construction Fix
« on: March 20, 2011, 04:41:44 am »

Ok, lots of people hate slow constructions. So I devised a plan.

Currently:
Dorf hauls each individual block to a building and builds it. So with a big building (bridge), there's lots of walking, and with multiple small buildings (walls) there still is, even if you build a stockpile next to it, you have to do that first and wait for it all to go there etc. etc. So...

Proposed:
Dorf doing the job goes to the building site and hangs around. Dorfs set to haul whatever the material is will all run and dump it on the tile, then the actual workers can do it. If there's too long without the materials arriving, the dorf will assume nobody's around to haul it to the site and will start building it himself.

EG.
So all you need to build a huge wall is a ton of stone haulers and 1 mason. The haulers will stick the stone in the wall's tile, and the mason can just run along and build each one super quickly. If nobody hauled it withing prob. 30 real time seconds? then he'd start doing the old fashioned way.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

floatereater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Construction Fix
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:03:20 am »

I believe this can be accomplished already. All you need to do is set some designated stone haulers and disable the mason from hauling stone. This is particularly easy when using. Dwarf Therapist.

Now, building on this idea, what if we could build wheelbarrows at the Carpenter's workshop, which would be used if there were wall or floor build orders present? These would allow 3 stone to be carried at once, thus speeding up the process. I agree that the construction of walls and floors does tend to take a rediculously long ammount of time, and it is the main reason I don't like to build above ground. It would be very nice to see some improvement here.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:17:57 am »

I believe this can be accomplished already.
I'm pretty sure it's the guy constructing who hauls the material to it.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:23:51 am »

Try training your masons some.  If you can get their agility up, they'll move much faster.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:16:53 am »

Another way to fix the problem, if you're using blocks, is to have your dwarves stick all of theselected blocks into a bin and then haul the bin (although this might take a while to get all of the kinks out of it as occasionally this would be counterproductive and those times would need to be identified somehow so that they could haul things normally in those situations)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:46:48 am »

Idk, I don't think it takes long at all. If you put the stockpile on the border of the construction your mason will have to travel 10 squares at most. Just disable all other labors on him and you'll have a bridge or w/e in seconds.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:48:20 am by JohnieRWilkins »
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:55:55 am »

Also, because walls are not quality-dependent, just turn masonry on for all your haulers, and they'll spam out wall sections in a hurry.  This would actually be -faster- than your suggestion.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »

Also, because walls are not quality-dependent, just turn masonry on for all your haulers, and they'll spam out wall sections in a hurry.  This would actually be -faster- than your suggestion.
The problem with that is that you don't want your haulers to make furniture. A separate skill and job type for stonecutting and bricklaying would be useful. Of course, bricklaying skill should influence the quality of the wall, as soon as the walls have quality. At that point you'll want your expert mason to be supplied by haulers. Or alternatively, the apprentices in his "squad".
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »

The problem with that is that you don't want your haulers to make furniture.

We can still set workshop profiles though right? Just make sure all your masonry workshops are set to only accept master masons or whatever, and all your crappy hauler-masons will just construct. Then your only issue is your master masons will also want to construct sometimes, rather than slave away over a new table, but perhaps they can be burrow confined?
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »

The problem with that is that you don't want your haulers to make furniture. A separate skill and job type for stonecutting and bricklaying would be useful. Of course, bricklaying skill should influence the quality of the wall, as soon as the walls have quality. At that point you'll want your expert mason to be supplied by haulers. Or alternatively, the apprentices in his "squad".
In the simplifed labour selection thread there is a discusion about more specific skills.