Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ubuntu webcam is choppy, any ideas?  (Read 1596 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ubuntu webcam is choppy, any ideas?
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:51:51 pm »

So I have this fancy Logitech webcam for school. I'm pretty sure it's this one:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/435/3056?WT.z_sp=Image

Anyways, it takes decent definition video on windows with some special format. It's also VGA compatible though, so I can take video by using the ubuntu  program Cheese.

But it's choppy as hell, like taking 2 still pictures every second. Does anyone have ideas as to why, or how I can test it out? My best guess is that its' a driver issue (which it shouldn't be, it's standardized), or that it's not running at USB 2.0 speeds on linux for some reason. I don't know how to test either of those though. 
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu webcam is choppy, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:01:55 am »

Webcams don't really interest me, but did find some items that might be noteworthy...

Linux UVC driver & tools homepage  Note the compatibility list and that most of the logitechs are flagged with issues.

Quickcam team website addresses some of the issues covered in the notes, and what sounds like your problem.

Maybe this will help...

*edited to fix up the links*
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:35:07 pm by white_darkness »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:06:00 am »

Webcams don't really interest me, but did find some items that might be noteworthy...

http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/  Note the compatibility list and that most of the logitechs are flagged with issues.

http://www.quickcamteam.net/documentation/faq/logitech-webcam-linux-usb-incompatibilities addresses some of the issues covered in the notes, and what sounds like your problem.

Maybe this will help...

It helps give me a reason, but I'm not about to install unmaintained drivers that I have no idea how to tweak just to get less choppy video. As evidence by my use of the term VLC instead of UVC, I'm likely to just break my system.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:37:14 pm »

Umm, where did you reference VLC?

The info I found gave you a probable explanation/starting point.  Downloading and installing anything is purely up to you.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:56:33 pm »

Umm, where did you reference VLC?

The info I found gave you a probable explanation/starting point.  Downloading and installing anything is purely up to you.

damn it... I said... *looks down* VGA when I should have said UVC. Saying VLC just further proves my point though. I gotta stop posting these at weird times.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:04:04 am »

I viewed everything I threw out as a starting point for research on your part.  Not a big deal. :)

The curse/blessing of Linux, is having to research things, since far too often some group starts work on something and you end up with that group splitting and creating multiple forks to deal with the same issue using different methodologies.  Then the one that was making the most forward progress will split again or close up shop.

Which leaves the rest of us who just want to use something that works in a touch of difficulty.