Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need more water!  (Read 827 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need more water!
« on: March 18, 2011, 07:53:43 pm »

I am on  a desert map. I found water in caverns, but it is starting to become clear I very well may run out. Is there any other way to get more water?

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need more water!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:20:51 pm »

water comes from rivers, brooks, oceans, aquifers and rain. if you dont have any of those you will run out of cavern/murky pool water eventually.
LOSING IS FUN!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:36:29 pm »

most cavern layers have replenishing water. It replenishes if the lake extends to the edge of the map. If one cavern layer dosn't do that, try the others.

You might want to have a U bend forcing water up through a grate if you want to avoid FBs coming up through your well.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »

I'd advise building a cistern system. Six 5x5x3 tanks, connected with floodgates, and pressure plates will keep you wet even while the water is replenishing.

Connect Pressure plate in Cistern to floodgate entering. Build in a linear fashion. So that the last cistern, with no out is the one you're drawing water from. Then connect the pressure plate so it refills it when it hits 1 water, and closes the gate when it's at 7. Then the next one in line will open, and so on until the first cistern fills from your water source. This way if your source is self replenishing, you'll not drain it completely and be totally out of water.

rawrjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »

I'd advise building a cistern system. Six 5x5x3 tanks, connected with floodgates, and pressure plates will keep you wet even while the water is replenishing.

Connect Pressure plate in Cistern to floodgate entering. Build in a linear fashion. So that the last cistern, with no out is the one you're drawing water from. Then connect the pressure plate so it refills it when it hits 1 water, and closes the gate when it's at 7. Then the next one in line will open, and so on until the first cistern fills from your water source. This way if your source is self replenishing, you'll not drain it completely and be totally out of water.

This is probably the coolest thing I have ever read.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:17:34 am »

Thank you. I designed it when the only source I had was a single aquifer tile at one end of the map, with my fort on the other. Works well.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »

If you're on a cold desert then you can build a pool outside filled with 2/7 water that freezes in the winter, and then thaws to give you full 7/7 tiles.  You can then siphon off the extra water and wait for next year for more.

Unless you're doing something crazy with obsidian or you want drowning traps, you don't need all that much water to run a fort anyway.  Just be absolutely sure you never run out of booze, and try not to injure anyone.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.